Marmite banned...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

Noooo!!! Not Irn Bru as well!!!!

compo

Veteran
Is it OK to confess that I love marmite........

When I used to smoke and would go fishing, the juices from lugworms would get on my fingers and bits would get onto my lips while smoking and numb them. Marmite was the only sandwich filler with strong enough flavour to overcome the effects of the lugworms.

Another totally pointless recollection!

Linford

I'm glad I don't live in Canada :biggrin: ....quite ironic that nearly 10% of all deaths in Canada are directly caused by Obesity

Marmite Gravy...just too nice :smile:

ASC1951

Guru
Is it OK to confess that I love marmite........
So do I - it's great with cheese, peanut butter, in stews, all sorts of stuff. As a child of the 50s my mum brought us up on that and PLJ. Unfortunately I've had to stop eating it because - never mind the additive P Whatsit - it's rammed full of salt and the yeast origin puts it on the gout Avoid List.
Top Tip: Marmite altered their formula a couple of years ago and Tesco and Morrison's own brand version is much closer to the original flavour.

Anyone who loves Marmite needs to live in Burton on Trent as you can smell it most days..... If you can't smell that its because the smell of beer is overpowering it and if the wind (weather type) is in the right direction you get the smell of Coffee from Nestle' up the road......

Linford

The Kraft plant at Banbury gives a strong whiff of coffee some days when passing through there :smile:

I've got a micro Brewery quite near by, and can occasionally smell when they brew up :smile:

green1

Über Member
I'm going to declare my kitchen to be part of Canada then. OH loves it but the smell of marmite makes me feel queasy.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm another marmite lover! Yummm
(I'm surprised the salt etc is a problem, given the small amount of it you use per slice of toast - or maybe I'm just not spreading it thickly enough?)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was also brought up in the fifties and I can remember my primary school meals. There was a catering size jar of Marmite and a similar size can of Tate & Lyles golden syrup plus plenty of bread and butter. Lovely!

Anybody remember Virol?

ASC1951

Guru
Good for Canada.
Sometimes these health bans are just trade barriers. IIRC the US used to ban imported biscuit flour if it contained more than X rat hairs per ton - it all did, including their own.
Vile stuff!
It will rebound on the Canucks. They will have to fall back on Vegemite, which I happen to know is scraped by hobgoblins from between the toes of Satan

Top Bottom