Scotland & midges??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
wyno70 said:
For those in the know (or in Scotland) will they be out yet, or can I exclude mossie repellant from my kit list??
I should be "in the know" having lived all my life in Scotland, and I would say you should be ok, 'cos the midgies don't usually appear before the snow disappears.:angry:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm just back from Knockengorroch World Ceilidh near Cairsphairn and the midges were certainly out and about when the wind dropped.

The Avon Skin So Soft kept me and a mate totally bite free over the three days that we were there.

shirokazan

Veteran
vernon said:
Ive...found Avons Skin So Soft to be 100% effective.

I did get a few bites but they were where I failed to apply the magic lotion.

If you need to put on sunblock as well as Skin So Soft, does it matter which goes on first? Yes, I know I might be optimistic but it might just be sunny in Scotland when I do my LEJOG next month... ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
shirokazan said:
If you need to put on sunblock as well as Skin So Soft, does it matter which goes on first? Yes, I know I might be optimistic but it might just be sunny in Scotland when I do my LEJOG next month... ;)

You will not need anti-midge when cycling, they don't fly fast, so put on sun block. By the time you stop at night, the sun will have lost much of it's strength so you won't need sun block. Depends on where you stop overnight, but it's unlikely you will need the anti-midge cream.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
snorri said:
You will not need anti-midge when cycling, they don't fly fast, so put on sun block
You've obviously never punctured near a stream... ;)

That happened to me when I was out on my MTB once. I'd just got my rear wheel out when the midges attacked! I had to grab the bike and wheel and run down the lane with them to get away from the water but I still got bitten about 50 or 60 times. :thumbsup:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
shirokazan said:

If you need sunblock you won't need Skin So Soft at the same time, midges don't fly when the sun is shining. Midges can only fly when it is over cast (or at dusk and dawn) and when the wind is low...

shirokazan

Veteran
Aah, right. I think I'm understanding these midgey-beasts a bit more now ;) Thanks for the info, snorrie, ColinJ and Hairy Jock.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Can't say if it's available in the UK, but Jungle Juice is what we use here in the wilds of Northern Canuckistan, where giant mosquitos have been known to carry off tents with hapless campers inside!

es-riesenmoskito-riesenmuecke-end-of-alaska-highway-mile-1422-delta-junction-alaska-usa-dscn0969.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hairy Jock said:
midges don't fly when the sun is shining. Midges can only fly when it is over cast (or at dusk and dawn) and when the wind is low...
Ah - that time when I punctured, it was under tree cover near a stream so I was out of the sun.

The other time that I've been badly 'midged' was when I stopped to have a chat with another cyclist at dusk near a stream. I got bitten about 50 times then too.

Midges and mosquitos really seem to like me. I get bitten when people with me don't.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
shirokazan said:
If you need to put on sunblock as well as Skin So Soft, does it matter which goes on first? Yes, I know I might be optimistic but it might just be sunny in Scotland when I do my LEJOG next month... :o)

It was sunny in Scotland last Sunday and I got burnt. I think the Skin So Soft might have accelerated the tanning process but I might be wrong. I wasn't using any sunblock - didn't think that I needed it....

I'd experiment to see which sequence offered the best protection as I have no direct experience of using sun blocker and Avon Skin So Soft.

Top Bottom