Scotland & midges??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyno70

I've been caught out by the midges in Scotland once before and they were horrific!!

I'm doing a JOGLE starting this monday, down the west coast and will be out of Scotland by Friday.

For those in the know (or in Scotland) will they be out yet, or can I exclude mossie repellant from my kit list??

Thanks a lot.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mid-late May, hmmm chances aren't good, and I've never found anything proof agains the little sods. Depends on how the weather's been so far, May/June can often be the best time of year weatherwise for parts of Scotland.

007fair

I was out playing golf north of Glasgow late Monday evening and there were none
Haven't been aware of any yet on the west highland way either so it seems you may be OK .. BUT they are devious wee bug**rs
I cannot promise anything if you are sitting still near water!

So just keep cycling until you get to the pub :biggrin:

hubbike

I was on arran last sunday and on Ben Lomond on Saturday. Saw lots of midges but they were'nt biting. forecast a bit iffy so the little blighters will probably be soggy.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
hubbike said:
I was on arran last sunday and on Ben Lomond on Saturday. Saw lots of midges but they were'nt biting. forecast a bit iffy so the little blighters will probably be soggy.

I love that, when they're not biting, it's like being circle by a zillion mini sharks, almost like you're being teased.

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Thanks a lot, sounds like I might get a few. Is it worth taking any repellant or will the little buggers just ignore it?

Only one I have is fairly heavy duty and high deet %, seems to see most stuff off but if it's pointless, I'll leave it behind!

inaperfectworld

senn jungle juice recommended. buy it at chemist. don't know if it's just deet, but worth checking. some people reckon taking b vitamin tabs for a couple of weeks before makes you smell weird to them. can't remember which b vitamin so check on 'net

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Avon So Soft?

If it is good enough for the Royal Marines, then it should be good enough for you! :biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
HelenD123 said:
One of my friends who goes to Scotland regularly swears by it.

It is the bees knees. Ive used it on a JOGLE and LEJOG plus a weekend in Dumfriesshire and found Avons Skin So Soft to be 100% effective. The caledonian luftwaffe could well be aout as they were this time last year when i was in Dumfreisshire at a festival. I've got mine packed ready for next weekend;s foray to the same festival at Knocken gorroch.

I've never known so much discomfort caused by some thing so small. I did get a few bites but they were where I failed to apply the magic lotion.

coopman

The dreaded midgies are def out round my way. I find my midgie helmet usefull even though I do look like a complete twat! Other than that I use a high deet repellent (life systems insect repellent I think) which seems to work well.
Annoying little feckers that can make life miserable!

BIGSESAL

+1 for Jungle Juice

The midges don't usually come out until late summer. At this point it can be hell. Although the are devious and I wouldn't put anything past them. They tend to bite people with fair hair or red hair more than others.

Alves

On the whole you won't be bothered with them while cycling until you stop to fix a p.....ure, admire the view, walk up a hill or go camping.
If you're staying/sleeping indoors, they will only be a minor nuisance otherwise.
If you're camping, this early in the year it should be not too bad some of the time when its sunny (it is occasionally) or windy.
Otoh, when its calm and overcast, they will be around but I doubt if you'll experience the full horror until later in what passes for the summer.

Top Bottom