Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seconded. Scotland is one of my favourite places of all. I've ridden the whole length of it and toured in different areas. Definitely get a train north out of edinburgh to inverness or even just to Perth. The Tay valley (north of perth) is absolutely beautiful rolling farmland surrounded by mountains and makes a nice introduction. Then you can head up into the highlands over the drumochter pass (although there are better options) over to kingussie, aviemore and inverness. Heading either west or north out of inverness is equally beautiful. A must-stay-at place is Carbisdale castle youth hostel just by Lairg.

Another way would be to take a train up to Oban from Glasgow (3 hrs) and explore the west coast. Applecross, the Torridons and the Assynt are all stunning as is the whole of Sutherland (the far NW). The riding is hard though. The coastal roads feature constant one in six climbs.

From Oban you can also get to the Isles of Mull and the outer hebrides. I've ridden in both of these places. Mull is a cycling paradise, with lovely gradients, civilised roads, lots of good views and wildlife too. You can do it all in a day but allow two. The outer hebrides can be done in about a week. It's a 6 hour ferry ride from Oban to Castlebay or Lochboisdale. They are a really magical place and the people are lovely. I'll also second the gatliff hostels - they are great. The whole of the outer hebrides shuts on a sunday though as they are still very religious out there.

Also dont' discount the borders. Dumfries and Galloway is beautiful and quite hilly. One of the most beautiful rides I've done is up to Edinburgh through the borders - the Minto Hills, Hawick, the Tweed Valley, Innerleithen and then over the hills to Edinburgh. Really stunning.

You really can't go wrong in Scotland!

jassy-x

Kirstie said:
Seconded. Scotland is one of my favourite places of all. I've ridden the whole length of it and toured in different areas. Definitely get a train north out of edinburgh to inverness or even just to Perth. The Tay valley (north of perth) is absolutely beautiful rolling farmland surrounded by mountains and makes a nice introduction. Then you can head up into the highlands over the drumochter pass (although there are better options) over to kingussie, aviemore and inverness. Heading either west or north out of inverness is equally beautiful. A must-stay-at place is Carbisdale castle youth hostel just by Lairg.

Another way would be to take a train up to Oban from Glasgow (3 hrs) and explore the west coast. Applecross, the Torridons and the Assynt are all stunning as is the whole of Sutherland (the far NW). The riding is hard though. The coastal roads feature constant one in six climbs.

From Oban you can also get to the Isles of Mull and the outer hebrides. I've ridden in both of these places. Mull is a cycling paradise, with lovely gradients, civilised roads, lots of good views and wildlife too. You can do it all in a day but allow two. The outer hebrides can be done in about a week. It's a 6 hour ferry ride from Oban to Castlebay or Lochboisdale. They are a really magical place and the people are lovely. I'll also second the gatliff hostels - they are great. The whole of the outer hebrides shuts on a sunday though as they are still very religious out there.

Also dont' discount the borders. Dumfries and Galloway is beautiful and quite hilly. One of the most beautiful rides I've done is up to Edinburgh through the borders - the Minto Hills, Hawick, the Tweed Valley, Innerleithen and then over the hills to Edinburgh. Really stunning.

You really can't go wrong in Scotland!
....you know Kirsty....I am born and bred in Scotland and still haven't saw most of what you have seen, I really need to think about buying a tourer and seeing a bit more of this country.....:smile:

....enjoy you're trip when it comes samid.......

jassy-x said:
....you know Kirsty....I am born and bred in Scotland and still haven't saw most of what you have seen, I really need to think about buying a tourer and seeing a bit more of this country.....:smile:

It's turning into a bit of an obsession. I went there to ride 5 times this year, and I've been on business several times too...

jassy-x

Kirstie said:
It's turning into a bit of an obsession. I went there to ride 5 times this year, and I've been on business several times too...
.....it that case that almost qualifies you as a Scot...therefore you are cordially invited to the next Scottish CC meet-up on Sunday Dec 21st....although I think the route would be a bit on the short side for you...in saying that you could always cycle to the starting point in Stirling to make it worth you're while..:smile:

jassy-x said:
.....it that case that almost qualifies you as a Scot...therefore you are cordially invited to the next Scottish CC meet-up on Sunday Dec 21st....although I think the route would be a bit on the short side for you...in saying that you could always cycle to the starting point in Stirling to make it worth you're while..:smile:

Thanks, I'm honoured! What's the plan? I'll see if I can make it.

andym

Über Member
Hairy Jock said:
I would agree with most of dawesboz comments except the last, from a cycling point of view Edinburgh has a lot to offer. It is easy to get round by bike, stay at a camp site and cycle in, the whole town is only 15 minutes away and there is loads to see and do for free.

Well yes, camp if you are really on a tight budget, but Edinburgh has plenty or reasonably-priced backpacker hostels and a couple of YHAs.

jassy-x

magnatom said:
Hi Kirstie.

Have a look here, http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19088

I think this is the route, although it might differ slightly. Look towards the later pages where we discuss the Christmas ride. It would be nice to have an honorary Scot with us as well! :smile:

....SNAP....

jassy-x

magnatom said:
Hi Kirstie.

Have a look here, http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=19088

I think this is the route, although it might differ slightly. Look towards the later pages where we discuss the Christmas ride. It would be nice to have an honorary Scot with us as well! :smile:
....the route may be extended for those feeling fit on the day by adding a couple of stonking climbs over the Campsie hills........Fintry > Lennoxtown > Kylsyth > Carronbridge.....:smile:

faterse

The scottish borders (south of Edinburgh). "What?" you say, well, there are loads of amazing and quiet back roads to explore, great offroad riding and it doesn't take 6 hours to get there unless you live in inverness! The scenery doesn't have half the wow factor of the highlands but this is made up for by the quality of the riding. Just a suggestion.

sloe

If weather looks good for NW Scotland during your stay get the train to Lairg. So many roads radiate to and from it. Plenty wild camping in the NW, and campsites are reasonably priced.

I could wax lyrical about the majestic scenery and clean air, but can't spell getintherebeforethemidgesdo.

Top Bottom