Scott Aspect 40.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My main bike is a Spesh Tricross, but since I bought it last year it seems to have morphed into a touring bike as it is now fitted with mudguards, a rack, and narrower tyres.

I am thinking about getting a second bike, to be used more for fun runs and general away days. The sort of bike that will do roads, trails, canal paths and maybe a wee bit off road occassionally.

I have been doing some reading on here, as well as other reviews and the bike that keeps ticking all the boxes is a Scott Aspect MTB, but I would fit it with more road orientated tyres (Specialized Hemisphere armadillos?).

I looked at an Aspect 45 today which is the same bike but with disc brakes rather than V brakes. For that there is a £150 extra charge, so I am thinking that the V brakes will be fine for my needs. Anyway I cannot justify spending £550 on a second bike.

Any opinions/experiences of this bike?

Hang on, doesn't the TriCross do all the things you want from a second bike? You could be about to make the classic MTB mistake (I did) especially as you intend to fit road tyres to a mountain bike (I can understand this if you only have room for one machine). Your present steed seems to fulfil all your needs so why not just upgrade bits and bobs whenever practicable?
Just a thought

Bill

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
TheBoyBilly said:
Hang on, doesn't the TriCross do all the things you want from a second bike? You could be about to make the classic MTB mistake (I did) especially as you intend to fit road tyres to a mountain bike (I can understand this if you only have room for one machine). Your present steed seems to fulfil all your needs so why not just upgrade bits and bobs whenever practicable?
Just a thought

Bill

True, almost! The difference being that a MTB has front suspension to iron out the bumps on surfaces such as canal paths. In particular I am thinking the Union/Forth and Clyde which can get very tedious even on the Tricross. Also rougher road surfaces, and it also gives me the option for some proper mountain bike trails, which I used to do pre-Tricross.
Also now that the Tricross has mudguards and a rack, it makes it awkward to get into the car even with both wheels removed (it is a small hatchback), so a MTB would be handy for throwing into the back of the car and getting further afield for some exploration of new territory!

You're right though, maybe I have some sort of ideal vision of this new bike which won't be the same in reality, so I should probably save myself the money and stick with the Tricross. Could even put wider tyres back on it, take the guards off and pray for a dry summer. In the west of Scotland, ha ha ha!

Top Bottom