Scott vs Specialized / Cannondale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbowden33

I am looking to get a hybrid / flatbar road bike for under £1000. I like the look of the Scott Speedster 20 Flatbar 2015. I have been told by a guy in my local bike shop that the build quality isn't as good as that of a Specialized or Cannondale and they are heavy in comparison, is this true? I can't find a Scott locally to look at or test ride so am relying on feedback.

vickster

Legendary Member
Load of tosh on heavy, 20.15lbs = 9 and a bit kg = light for an alu hybrid

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-20-2015-hybrid-bike-ec075445

Looks lush, rather have that than a common as muck Specialized Sirrus (even if it does have a lifetime guarantee on the frame for the first owner, I don't know about Scott)

£850 gets you disc brakes on a boring grey Specialized, Sora gearing vs 105, and 10.5kgs according to Evans site

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-elite-disc-2015-hybrid-bike-ec067773

Go for the Scott, get something different :okay:

OP
OP
M

mbowden33

Thanks Vickster! I feel the same about being a bit different and wasn't blown away when looking at the sirrus! Just didn't want to be seduced by a high spec to find the build quality wasn't up to much. Have made that mistake before.

Cyclist33

Yep agree I would have the Scott over the spesh but I note that the speedster is I think a road bike with flat bars while the sirrus is a fast hybrid.

With that in mind... Cannondale quick? You get a very light hybrid I mean mine was under 10kg and it was 700 quid, lots of clearance for the wider tyres if u might do the odd canal path, superbly comfortable, unusual style, I can't praise the quick enough and nobody buys them!

Well you know what I mean lol.

But if you want an actual road bike with flat bars what about the planet x flat bar? If they still do it... Last time I checked it was 900 quid top spec and a carbon frame. 8 kg odd.

OP
OP
M

mbowden33

The Cannondale quick 1 was my alternative and certainly looks more comfortable. I use my bike every day for work in all weather so comfort is another consideration.

Cyclist33

Hmm tough one! Unlike you I have no problems with the colour black on a frame, mind you the cheaper one doesn't have disc brakes... But I would get my credit card out tomorrow for either, if I had a credit card.

Cyclist33

To be frank if I could get to planet x shop I would buy the 700 quid jobby, sell the stock wheels and if I were on a 1000 quid budget, that would leave about 350 quid, with which I would have at a pair of novatechnology jelly wheels.

Such a bike would wee all over sevreal dedicated road bikes for the same price. Including both mine.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Scott doesn't have disc brakes either

OP
OP
M

mbowden33

I'm not really bothered about disc brakes. My other concern is why so few shops near me stock Scott bikes. The guy I spoke to made the point 'If they were any good everyone would be selling them'. Happy to be different from the crowd but don't want to buy a lemon.

Cyclist33

To be frank if I could get to planet x shop I would buy the 700 quid jobby, sell the stock wheels and if I were on a 1000 quid budget, that would leave about 350 quid, with which I would have at a pair of novatechnology jelly wheels.

Such a bike would wee all over sevreal dedicated road bikes for the same price. Including both mine.

Hmm, that'll teach me to use my phone's predictive text while drunk!

*Novatec Jetfly* wheels.

I am looking to get a hybrid / flatbar road bike for under £1000. I like the look of the Scott Speedster 20 Flatbar 2015. I have been told by a guy in my local bike shop that the build quality isn't as good as that of a Specialized or Cannondale and they are heavy in comparison, is this true? I can't find a Scott locally to look at or test ride so am relying on feedback.
Ask your informer what he or she means by build quality and ask them to point out one single instance of anything being "built" worse on the Scott, or any other bike for that matter. Fully expect that person to blow bubbles, fluff about and bluster.

Top Bottom