Scottish ASA, I despair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I will be contacting the Scottish Advertising Standards Agency over this story, once I have calmed down a bit. Arrogant misinformed nobbers that they are.
Five complaints (from other arrogant misinformed nobbers) and Cycling Scotland are forced to withdraw the advert.
Once again, IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO RIDE WITHOUT A HELMET!! Not to mention the "should be riding in the gutter" attitude.
Socially irresponsible? WTF??

oldstrath

Über Member
I will be contacting the Scottish Advertising Standards Agency over this story, once I have calmed down a bit. Arrogant misinformed nobbers that they are.
Five complaints (from other arrogant misinformed nobbers) and Cycling Scotland are forced to withdraw the advert.
Once again, IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO RIDE WITHOUT A HELMET!! Not to mention the "should be riding in the gutter" attitude.

I particularly like this bit "car almost had to enter the right lane of traffic.". So they are upset that the car was shown actually overtaking safely. I guess the judgement was written by some motorist dickhead who hates having cyclists "in the way".

Last edited:

davefb

Guru
I'm appalled at this advert it's totally irresponsible..

Driving a car with no roof? ?

erm and if you weren't annoyed enough .. "A further complaint that the cyclist was riding too far from the kerb was also dismissed by Cycling Scotland."

""Furthermore, we were concerned that whilst the cyclist was more than 0.5 metres from the kerb, they appeared to be located more in the centre of the lane when the car behind overtook them and the car almost had to enter the right lane of traffic."

beggers belief..

[edit] of course, forum rule 1 applies, read the points already made without repeating the same thing ;)

oldstrath

Über Member
Presumably in ASA-land no car may be shown overtaking on a single-carriageway road, because then they 'have to enter the right lane of traffic'. I see a database of inappropriate adverts (especially for penis-replacements) coming up.

rualexander

Legendary Member
It isn't the Scottish Advertising Standards Agency, it's a UK body, ridiculous ruling none the less.

snorri

Legendary Member
There is already a thread running on this with a (slightly)more accurate thread title.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/whats-this-asa-high-court-thing-all-about.148413/#post-2898510

davefb

Guru
actually

moan about the helmet, but not the footwear or skirts or the guy with trousers flapping about ? ( not that theres anything wrong/illegal, but more of an issue than the helmet from a safety point of view imho of course :P )

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
actually

moan about the helmet, but not the footwear or skirts or the guy with trousers flapping about ? ( not that theres anything wrong/illegal, but more of an issue than the helmet from a safety point of view imho of course :P )
Yes, and it's a GIRL on that bike! Girls don't ride bikes and shouldn't be on the road. Certainly not on their own ;).

Just in case anyone takes this seriously; I AM being sarcastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom