Scottish ASA, I despair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I will be contacting the Scottish Advertising Standards Agency over this story, once I have calmed down a bit. Arrogant misinformed nobbers that they are.
Five complaints (from other arrogant misinformed nobbers) and Cycling Scotland are forced to withdraw the advert.
Once again, IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW TO RIDE WITHOUT A HELMET!! Not to mention the "should be riding in the gutter" attitude.
Socially irresponsible? WTF??
The press really don't seem to be doing cycling any favours at all at the moment. I am actually starting to feel like an inconvenience on the roads. :sad:

image.jpg

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Like the OP I'm still fuming from reading this. Which bit of Legal, Decent, Honest and Truthful does this ad engage.

Is it possible for the mods to merge the separate threads and place the consolidated item suitably prominently?

.stu

Über Member
I wish car drivers would ovetake me like this, but all I get is some tosser in a pickup who starts beeping his horn the moment he gets in a line of traffic behind a cyclist, regardless of whether the cyclist is holding anyone up or not, then cuts across the cyclist whilst overtaking to prove a point about something that only he knows.

But anyway, the car barely crosses the white line, so their reasoning is just complete bs.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
For anyone not clear about the issues here, might I suggest these blog posts as background reading?
ASA censors cycling safety ad
The Killing of The Horse
Know Your ASA from Your Elbow
This is not an extensive list, just some that I have come across today. I would also urge you to sign this petition...

davefb

Guru
The car is supposed to cross the line into the other lane if that is what is needed for safely passing another vehicle (just like when cars pass other cars).

Rule 163 of the Highway code even has a helpful image: -
hc_rule_163_give_vulnerable_road_users_at_least_as_much_space_as_you_would_a_car.jpg

thats a special highway code 0.5 of a meter , that's why it looks like more than an ASA meter

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom