Scottish c2c

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
is there a reccomended route Iv done gla-edin a few times but it's not really c2c , prob starting down west coast, anybody done similiar

Oban tae Arbroath?

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
The only thing with oban is getting there , I'd need to drive , ideally I'd want good train links ( is there even a station in oban

Rasmus

Without a clever title
The only thing with oban is getting there , I'd need to drive , ideally I'd want good train links ( is there even a station in oban
Certainly, and it's a lovely trip up there, although it does take a while.

Ayr to North Berwick could be a nice ride...?

snorri

Legendary Member
I was thinking ......... to avoid the big cities
Dingwall (Cromarty Firth) to Ullapool (Loch Broom)
Inverness (Beauly Firth) to Fort William (Loch Linnhe)
Bonar Bridge (Dornoch Firth) to Lochinver (LochInver)
Dingwall, Inverness, Fort William and Bonar all have stations within a mile or two.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvM4oz-26iCYgCHIGZMx7JU_rEOCy81Dwq-w3uukCg-zlktAftrg.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS--bIzMLUkeRqgzAxWg_wJhhvhl531eqRDBSgJ65ed8fsFbfyYhw.jpg

I was thinking more ayr - berwick or the like to avoid the big cities

That wouldnae be a Scottish c2c ;)

Unless things have changed dramatically (and very recently) the Glasgow queen street to Fort William train splits in two at Lower Tyndrum and one half for to Oban and the other to Fort William. Your only issue is making sure you and your bike are in the correct half!

Oban sound like a good place to start to me. I can think of a number of really nice routes I would happily cycle from there. I just can't name anywhere to end...:whistle:

Somebuddy

Über Member
Our man in Ayrshire who is currently over state side, I believe, recently posted an Ayr to Berwick route. It goes along the scenic river Tweed cycleway. I'll see if I can find it.

Somebuddy

Über Member
Below is quote from Brandane in previous post.

* Although it actually encroaches over the border to finish at Berwick upon Tweed; purely for ease of train access!

I have come up with this route, which I plan to do over 3 days sometime in 2015. It starts in Largs, Ayrshire, and then heads east using as few main roads as possible it crosses to the east coast via Dalry, Stewarton, Fenwick, Eaglesham, Strathaven, Lanark, Carstairs, Biggar, and Peebles. From there it mainly follows the established Tweed Valley Cycle Route through Melrose, Kelso, and Coldstream, to Berwick upon Tweed.
160 miles with the odd climb or two.

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
Below is quote from Brandane in previous post.

* Although it actually encroaches over the border to finish at Berwick upon Tweed; purely for ease of train access!

I have come up with this route, which I plan to do over 3 days sometime in 2015. It starts in Largs, Ayrshire, and then heads east using as few main roads as possible it crosses to the east coast via Dalry, Stewarton, Fenwick, Eaglesham, Strathaven, Lanark, Carstairs, Biggar, and Peebles. From there it mainly follows the established Tweed Valley Cycle Route through Melrose, Kelso, and Coldstream, to Berwick upon Tweed.
160 miles with the odd climb or two.
That's the kinda thing,though it seems from Ayr it's a bit shorter (120),I guess the cycle track meanders a bit and is a bit longer, I'd imagine the roads ( in general) would be quieter given most of it is down peebles/lanark way

Top Bottom