Scottish "end to end".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have the services of a fundraiser who is looking after that side, i am just the stooge wbo is doing the ride! It has all been very short notice due to circumstances. The just giving page will be set up today or tomorrow and i will post a link for anyone feeling charitable :notworthy:, but TBH as this is a local "thing" I won't be pushing my luck sponsor wise.
You don't try, you'll never find out.
And you might be suprised.

slow scot

Veteran
Is the "staircase" mentioned in an earlier post the one that allows you to cross the railway bridge opposite the now closed Carbisdale Youth Hostel? If so it's well worth using as it allows you to stay on the Sustrans route and avoids the more busy road through Bonar Bridge. Actually that's "busy" in a north of Scotland sense!
I know your route well and it's one of the best. From Altnaharra to Tongue takes you past the peaks of Ben Loyal, whereas the route through Strathnaver is massively important from a Highland Clearances point of view. In any case give the old Crask Inn a wave as you pass.

toffee

Guru
Just done Lejog over a lot of what you have described above. In fact I am sitting in Wick station waiting for the train home. It's very pretty country side, but when we did some the stretch form Inver Gordon to Bettyhill, we missed out Tongue, it was very windy. Also the drivers on the single track roads were some of the most idiotic we came across.

Bettyhill to JOG yesterday was a battle against the wind, today there is hardly a breath as we left JOG.

It was a great if tiring trip, I would go for it if you have the time.

toffee

Guru
Is the "staircase" mentioned in an earlier post the one that allows you to cross the railway bridge opposite the now closed Carbisdale Youth Hostel? If so it's well worth using as it allows you to stay on the Sustrans route and avoids the more busy road through Bonar Bridge. Actually that's "busy" in a north of Scotland sense!
I know your route well and it's one of the best. From Altnaharra to Tongue takes you past the peaks of Ben Loyal, whereas the route through Strathnaver is massively important from a Highland Clearances point of view. In any case give the old Crask Inn a wave as you pass.

Ah yes that staircase.
IMG-20180825-WA0000.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I like this idea. Its sounds like a nice ride without having to use all your holidays.

As for the route. Duncansby head to Gretna Green sounds good. Furthest North is just a point on a map. There may be nothing worth looking at. The route is yours to choose.

Top Bottom