Scottish "end to end".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am in the early stages of organising a solo Scottish end to end cycle, and maybe trying to turn it into a sponsored fund raiser for cancer research. The route would be from the most south westerly point of Scotland (the lighthouse at the Mull of Galloway) to the most northerly point (being Dunnet Head, not that other tourist trap JoG :biggrin:).

The route would be approximately 500 miles which I would hope to complete comfortably in 10 days, maybe less depending on how fit I can get prior to the start. The route would be from Mull of Galloway to Glentrool, where I would join up with the Sustrans route to Ayr, Johnstone, Erskine Bridge, Dumbarton, Callendar, Aviemore, Inverness, Tongue, and Dunnet Head.

Anyone done the route? With regards to sponsorship, what is the best way to go about it? Presumably seek guidance from cancer research and set up a "JustGiving" page?

As I say, this is in its early stages at the moment, although I would like to do it this summer if possible. Depends on work commitments, long range weather forecast nearer the time, level of fitness etc. etc..

Have posted on here in the hope that I will now feel more committed to getting off my backside and DOING IT!!

Wardy

I am in the early stages of organising a solo Scottish end to end cycle, and maybe trying to turn it into a sponsored fund raiser for cancer research. The route would be from the most south westerly point of Scotland (the lighthouse at the Mull of Galloway) to the most northerly point (being Dunnet Head, not that other tourist trap JoG :biggrin:).

I was always given to believe that Cape Wrath was actually the most northerly point on mainland Britain, but perhaps some expert geographer will prove me wrong! More power to your elbow though (or legs rather!).

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was always given to believe that Cape Wrath was actually the most northerly point on mainland Britain, but perhaps some expert geographer will prove me wrong! More power to your elbow though (or legs rather!).

Cape Wrath is the most north westerly point on mainland Britain; but Dunnet Head is actually further north, although not by much! Just to complicate matters further, the most north easterly point is Duncansby Head, to the east of JoG. So JoG is neither the most northerly, easterly or even north easterly point ;).

shirokazan

Veteran
I can't give any advice on the sponsorship aspect but I have cycled large sections of your proposed route.

In 2009, I cycled LEJOG joining your route near Johnstone. It was a real experience going over the Erskine Bridge and then making my along NCN7 through Balloch, the Trossachs, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Inverness and so on. I didn't go to Tongue but turned off at Altnaharra and went up the Strath Naver (very pretty) instead. Also, last year I toured from Carlisle to Fort William going via Newton Stewart (with a side trip to Portpatrick and Stranraer) and Glentrool so have some familiarity with the terrain in that area.

Overall, I'd say you don't need to be an athlete and most of the (few) hard climbs are are likely to be either in Ayrshire (but judging by your location you probably know that!) and when you traverse along the northern coast: Tongue to Thurso is very tough on the legs (I had to walk a few of the hills, but I'm a soft southern Englishman and not one for toughing it out!). Elsewhere the climbs tend to be long but at mild gradients e.g. climbing into Glentrool, over the Drumochter Pass, and the haul up to Crask Inn.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my cycling in Scotland, come rain or shine, so I'm quite envious of your planned ride. Still, I should be back there later this year touring the Highlands and east coast (essentially cycling a large triangle between Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness and back to Glasgow)!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
In 2009, I cycled LEJOG joining your route near Johnstone. It was a real experience going over the Erskine Bridge and then making my along NCN7 through Balloch, the Trossachs, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Inverness and so on. I didn't go to Tongue but turned off at Altnaharra and went up the Strath Naver (very pretty) instead. Also, last year I toured from Carlisle to Fort William going via Newton Stewart (with a side trip to Portpatrick and Stranraer) and Glentrool so have some familiarity with the terrain in that area.

Had a look at the photos of your LEJOG cycle and that has made me want to do this all the more! Well done on completing such a ride. You are right about me being familiar with parts of the route, mainly the bits in Galloway, Ayrshire, Erskine Bridge and up as far as Loch Lomond I have covered by bicycle. I have also done the section around Callendar and Glen Ogle, up to Killin. Most of the remainder I have done at some point by car or motorbike.

Strathnaver sounds like a good alternative to the Tongue route so I will bear that in mind, as well as the route avoiding the staircase, as shown in your photo album!

Coco

Good luck with this Brandane - sounds like a great idea.

In terms of sponsorship I've found JustGiving to be the easiest way of collecting money. Easy to send the URL to anyone or even to write down if you meet anyone en route.

And maybe the Proclaimers could re-record their song  :whistle:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Seven years later I am finally getting round to doing this! The train tickets are bought, accommodation all booked. Starting at Mull of Galloway lighthouse on Saturday 8th September, finishing (hopefully) at JoG/Dunnet Head on Friday 14th. Overnight stops at Ayr, Stirling, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Tain, and Bettyhill. 466 miles over 7 days.
The fundraising will be to raise money towards 3 rickshaw trikes for use of care homes in the Largs/Millport area.

snorri

Legendary Member
Strathnaver sounds like a good alternative to the Tongue route so I will bear that in mind, as well as the route avoiding the staircase, as shown in your photo album!
The staircase is easily avoided by going via Bonar Bridge which is probably a more easily navigable and more level route. Also there is a shop in Bonar for essential stores.

Edit If you would like to send me a pm, I could offer you a cup of tea in the passing.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
No link for donations?

What you done with the now missing 34 miles.

Good morning,

...maybe trying to turn it into a sponsored fund raiser for cancer research....

I may be getting old and grumpy but I see two different things proposed here.

1) Doing the ride for your own reasons.

2) Raising money for a charity.

As a personal life style choice, great, go for it.

Sorry to be brutal but as a fund raiser it doesn't seem ambitious enough to really warrant sponsorship.

You are proposing 50 miles a day for 10 days, I used to commute 34 miles a day to work for a couple of years (5 days a week) and there are many here who still do similar or greater daily commute mileage.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
No link for donations?

What you done with the now missing 34 miles.
I have the services of a fundraiser who is looking after that side, i am just the stooge wbo is doing the ride! It has all been very short notice due to circumstances. The just giving page will be set up today or tomorrow and i will post a link for anyone feeling charitable :notworthy:, but TBH as this is a local "thing" I won't be pushing my luck sponsor wise.

Top Bottom