A little Scottish inspiration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This popped up for me today....
https://bikepackingscotland.com/bik...ss&utm_campaign=bikepacking-argylls-islands-3

It's a short movie/video of a new bikepacking route in Scotland.

I thought it interesting that a ferry company commissioned the route and that bikes travel free on any rail/ferry connections. A very positive example in my book.

I live on the Clyde coast, but on the mainland. We have several ferries on our doorstep, the Cumbrae ferry almost literally! There are several good cycling routes involving ferry trips. A day trip round Arran (55 miles) is always a favourite.
The 3 ferries route is one I have done with some of the Scottish based members on here. Start at Wemyss Bay, ride 6 miles or so to Gourock, ferry to Dunoon; ride about 15 very hilly miles to Colintraive, ferry to Bute; ride 9 miles on Bute (or extend it by taking different routes on the island), then ferry from Rothesay to Wemyss Bay.
One I have not yet done but plan on doing it soon, is the 5 ferries route involving Ardrossan/Brodick (Arran); Lochranza/Claonaig (Kintyre); Tarbert/Portavadie (Cowal); then the 2 Bute ferries again (Colintraive/Rhubodach and Rothesay/Wemyss Bay). Involves about 80 miles of cycling.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Another 2 ferry version Ardrossan - Campbelltown, Claonaig, Tarbet, Kilberry, Track Loch Sween , Lochgilphead, East Side of Loch Awe, Inveraray, Strachur and Dunoon/Hunters Quay - Gourock. A big day out or train to Ardrossan and an overnight in Lochgilphead or Ardrishaig. Glasgow has a good rail network no booking bikes(weekends can be busy especially Arran if nice weather with ongoing ferry woes).

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's definitely one for the growing list of rides I want to do.

You can of course shorten it quite a bit by going Fishnish to Lochaline and then over the hill to near Strontian. The bit from Kilchoan to Strontian is a bit lumpy and I found it frustrating that every time you get up speed to help up the next hill a car appears over the crest towards you. It will be even worse now with increased traffic. The section from the Strontian junction to Ardgour is double track and there is a cycle path of sorts down the A82 to Ballachulish and then the offroad cyclepath to North Connel. The back road to Oban is also safer than the A85.

Sallar55

Veteran
Islay is an easy option by going via Arran. You could do lslay to Oban by ferry years ago, wonder if that still runs?

bruce1530

Guru
One I have not yet done but plan on doing it soon, is the 5 ferries route involving Ardrossan/Brodick (Arran); Lochranza/Claonaig (Kintyre); Tarbert/Portavadie (Cowal); then the 2 Bute ferries again (Colintraive/Rhubodach and Rothesay/Wemyss Bay). Involves about 80 miles of cycling.
5 Ferries is a great ride. I live a couple of miles from one of the ferries...

Starting at Ardrossan, and getting the 0700 ferry, you're off the boat in Arran by 0800. You'll have had breakfast on the boat. You've then got until 0930 to get the Lochranza ferry - best to get there about 15 mins before that. It's only 23km, but there's a big hill in between.

Arriving Claonaig at 10.00, you've got an hour to make the 11.00 sailing from Tarbert to Portavadie. 16km and a hill...

If you miss one of those connections, it's not a disaster, but you don't want to miss both.

After that, it's less time critical. Lunch in Tignabruaich, 8k after the 3rd ferry. The colintraive-rhubodach ferry is every half hour, and from Rothesay back to the mainland is hourly, with the last ferry being 7pm (8 on Fri & Sat).

It's a very pleasant ride - 5 "legs" with each one starting and finishing at sea level. Some hills, but equally some great descents. And some brilliant views. I recon I spent about half of the day cycling and the other half either on a boat, or waiting for a boat.

Fram

Islay is an easy option by going via Arran. You could do lslay to Oban by ferry years ago, wonder if that still runs?

In 2016 We returned to the car in Oban after a trip down to Arran by crossing Kennacraig to Islay, cycling to Port Askaig, then up to Oban via Colonsay. We had to wait a couple of nights on Colonsay for the connection.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@HobbesOnTour excuse the slight (!) thread diversion. I've no idea where in the world you currently are but I did see a guy with panniers etc. earlier riding through Lancashire. He was going to John O'Groats and crucially had a teddy bear strapped to the bike. He'd disappeared before I had the chance to ask.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
@HobbesOnTour excuse the slight (!) thread diversion. I've no idea where in the world you currently are but I did see a guy with panniers etc. earlier riding through Lancashire. He was going to John O'Groats and crucially had a teddy bear strapped to the bike. He'd disappeared before I had the chance to ask.

I'm nowhere near Scotland at the moment^_^. Currently negotiating the Sierra Nevada in Southern Spain (at the tail end of a ferocious heatwave).

My latest travelling companion is Señorita Suzi and she travels in my Handlebar bag (Yes! The oppresssion of women continues^_^)
I have to be careful if I carry her in my pocket - it can look like I'm carrying a pair of frilly knickers! ^_^

Here she is looking down on the highest town in all of Spain!

IMG_20220520_191316.jpg

Top Bottom