Scottish midges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
A chap on a German cycling forum has just asked me what's the midge situation in Scotland from Mid-August to Mid-September. I haven't the foggiest - can anyone give me some advice I can pass on?

Oh, and what kind of weather to expect...

Rainy. And midgey - midgey like you wouldn't believe.

snorri

Legendary Member
Auntie Helen said:
A chap on a German cycling forum has just asked me what's the midge situation in Scotland from Mid-August to Mid-September. I haven't the foggiest - can anyone give me some advice I can pass on?

Depends where he is going in Scotland, midgies are not a problem in many parts, of course in some places they are;).
Weather, mild with the possibility of the odd shower.:whistle:

They maybe could check out the Midgeforecast nearer the time (it doesn't seem to be active yet). I've found in general midges don't seem to bother me but around the Lochs (where most tourists go) they can be a problem for some folks.

WRT the weather; I've seen some really dry August/ September's but I've also seen some very wet ones; this far off all you could really say expect both.

Globalti

Legendary Member
August and September? Does he WANT to get bitten to death?

Tell him to take repellent and mosquito coils.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
wafflycat said:
Full-scale biohazard suiting required I would have thought..

They will eat you alive that time of the year. Stay clear, nothing will keep them at bay:ohmy:

Midges never sound too bad - "how bad can it be?" people think. "It's only a few tiny insects" - but they can really ruin a holiday. Nothing keeps them off short of a hermetically sealed box. If you're eating outside, it's impossible not to ingest thousands of the little sods with every forkful. You'll be able to read your arms in braille by the end of the first thirty seconds you spend outside in the evening and you'll look like you're having a fight with the Invisible Man whenever you go outside. Honestly, I'd sooner holiday at an oil refinery than go to Scotland in midge season.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
OK, I've had a further communication from the German chap: "danke für die Info. Diese Midges sind anscheinend sehr nervige Plagegeister. Bisher ist die Idee von Glasgow oder Edinburgh aus hochzufahren. Bis nach ganz oben, Thurso z.b. Zeitraum wäre dann der 21.8 bis 12.9. Das könnte vermutlich schon kalt im Norden werden."

He says the current plan is to cycle from Glasgow or Edinburgh up, perhaps to Thurso, and from 21 August to 12 September, although he's worried it can be a bit cold. Is he avoiding the midgy area doing this?

Greedo

Auntie Helen said:

clammy, warm with showers and midge ridden. Sitting in the garden, beer garden etc.... at night can be torture. Especially if there are trees nearby

Top Bottom