[Scottish Riders] Anyone know nice routes?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Anyone know any nice routes? I was planning on jumping on the cycle path from Paisley to Kilmacolm and then doing some nice, quiet country roads back to Paisley. I'm looking for around 30 miles with quiet roads. Got any good routes?

Noodley

Aye, I've got loads - none of them anywhere near Paisley tho.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I encourage you to just go exploring. Most of the roads in this area have very little traffic. Some have quite poor road surface, although I think I read recently that the council were carrying out repairs. The only road I would avoid is the main A761, but here you have the excellent cyclepath right alongside anyway.

I tend to avoid going into Paisley on my rides, so my rides are generally east-west rather than north-south. Still, here's a couple that I have done in the past:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/937509
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/348533

Also, be aware that your are somewhat limited by the existence of the rather expansive former armaments factory west of Bishopton, the limits of which are not really very clear on google maps.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I encourage you to just go exploring. Most of the roads in this area have very little traffic. Some have quite poor road surface, although I think I read recently that the council were carrying out repairs. The only road I would avoid is the main A761, but here you have the excellent cyclepath right alongside anyway.

I tend to avoid going into Paisley on my rides, so my rides are generally east-west rather than north-south. Still, here's a couple that I have done in the past:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/937509
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/348533

Also, be aware that your are somewhat limited by the existence of the rather expansive former armaments factory west of Bishopton, the limits of which are not really very clear on google maps.

I had no idea there was even a factory there! The A761, if I'm right that's Paisley Road West? That's the route that I take if I'm going into Glasgow, I didn't even know there was a cycle path next to it. Exploring sounds fun, unfortunately I won't be doing that today - it's raining and I don't have any proper wet weather gear, maybe some time this week instead. Thanks :thumbsup:

Get In The Van

Go www.bikehike.co.uk pull up your town/house and then just have a scan around the area, its what i do and found some roads i never knew existed, mostly all quiet back roads. the thing is with back roads is that mostly all of them at some point will eventually link and return to a main road

Rasmus

Without a clever title
The A761, if I'm right that's Paisley Road West? That's the route that I take if I'm going into Glasgow, I didn't even know there was a cycle path next to it.

I guess it is, but I was referring to the bit at the other end, the main road from Paisley through Kilmacolm to Port Glasgow. Generally, the area between Paisley and Glasgow is not particularly suited for leisure cycling...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Have you tried Strava? Gets interesting when looking at segments of rides that have leaderboards etc if you like a bit of competition :smile:

I don't have a phone with GPS unfortunately but I have used someone elses phone and there wasn't anything nearby. :dry:

zizou

Veteran
For a mostly traffic free route then how about this (taking the cycle track at canal street as the starting off point) http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1752893

Basically cycle track to Kilmacolm, then off onto the Renfrewshire lanes through Houston take a right to Bridge of Weir up past Ranfurly golf course and over and down to Howwood and rejoin the cycletrack. Three steep bits (one very steep) but the roads are mostly singletrack and very quiet - Kilallen road has just been resurfaced so in pretty good condition.

There are lots of quiet roads in the area i would recommend just going and exploring and see where each road leads and join them up with others.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I guess it is, but I was referring to the bit at the other end, the main road from Paisley through Kilmacolm to Port Glasgow. Generally, the area between Paisley and Glasgow is not particularly suited for leisure cycling...
I once followed the Glasgow to Paisley cycling route starting at Bells Bridge, ending at Paisley Canal station. Jaz could maybe do the reverse, then carry on to Clydebank and further.
It is a nice cycle, much nicer than Paisley road west.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I once followed the Glasgow to Paisley cycling route starting at Bells Bridge, ending at Paisley Canal station. Jaz could maybe do the reverse, then carry on to Clydebank and further.
It is a nice cycle, much nicer than Paisley road west.

You're right, of course there is that option. I just don't like that cyclepath - too slow and meandering for my taste. I suppose you could do a decent loop following that, then up the NCN7 path to Old Kilpatrick, over the Erskine Bridge and back to Paisley.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You're right, of course there is that option. I just don't like that cyclepath - too slow and meandering for my taste. I suppose you could do a decent loop following that, then up the NCN7 path to Old Kilpatrick, over the Erskine Bridge and back to Paisley.
Need to do a write up about my Glasgow to Paisley trip: it was a couple of months ago, I saw a kind of oriental monk sitting cross legged, playing the drum, under a tree on a hill just before canal station.
I also met a cyclist on an exploratory trip to Largs.
It is a a slow and meandering path, just right for somebody like me, 5mph ^_^

Top Bottom