Scottish Words

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scots_lass

Boak = sick cowp = midden, mess

horny/forkie golloch = earwig oxters = armpits

breeks = trousers or knickers bubbly jock = turkey

piece in a poke - sandwich in a bag birl = turn

foonered = very tired (polite)

Cyclox

I lived in Glasgow for a couple of years while I was on a trainee management course ......... I remember everyone called me 'hen!'

RedRider

Pulling through
Boab Dylan: 'Chap, chap, chappin' on heaven's door.'

That would've been gallus.

Lucky though that Ewan McColl was born in England. 'First Time Ever I Saw Your Puss' doesn't have quite the same romantic ring. :eek:

RedRider

Pulling through
Peh, as in a plein peh an'an ingin 'in an aw. Make that twa! ya couple of fannies

Erm, quarter to one. (?)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Noodley

I never usually think aboot whether the words I use are "Scottish" or not, given that I use them on a regular basis as part of 'normal' conversation.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Ar ye Scottish? A um. Ye ken ur a true Scot if ye can properly pronounce Ecclefechan, Sauchiehall Street, St Enoch, Auchtermuchty and Aufurfuksake. Yer used tae 4 seasons in wan day. Ye kin faw aboot pished wioot spilling yer drink. Ye kin make hael sentences jist wi swear wurds. Ye ken irn bru is a hang-er cure. Ye actually understawn this message! :rolleyes: :whistle: :tongue:

Too easy.

I used to have Scottish comedy TV programmes ruined for me by having to translate them for my wife. I suppose she's a foreigner - she's from Liverpool.

Scottish ancestry, regular doses of The Broons and Oor Wullie annuals and the Sunday Post during my childhood have contributed to my ability to cope with a wide variety of Scottish accents. The variations in the Scootish accent was brought home to me during my LEJOG and JOGLE rides.

There's plenty of lexicons online that will list regional words and phrases. A lot of folk would be surprised at how many dialect words they are familiar with or use without a second thought.

asterix

Comrade Member
Ar ye Scottish? A um. Ye ken ur a true Scot if ye can properly pronounce Ecclefechan, Sauchiehall Street, St Enoch, Auchtermuchty and Aufurfuksake. Yer used tae 4 seasons in wan day. Ye kin faw aboot pished wioot spilling yer drink. Ye kin make hael sentences jist wi swear wurds. Ye ken irn bru is a hang-er cure. Ye actually understawn this message! :rolleyes: :whistle: :tongue:

That looks more like posh Glaswegian to me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I was 15 we moved to Newcastle. At school, a kid looked out of the window of the Portakabin classroom and said to me: "Howway fer the gaffer gannin doon the clarty lonnen!"

If you read Eric Newby's The Last Grain Race, he reports some of the speech of his Scandinavian shipmates, which sounds remarkably like Geordie to someone like me who lived in the NE for several years.

Top Bottom