"Scouse git" and "Swamp Duck" die

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes............read that.
Tony Booth was good with Alf Garnett in "Till Death Us Do Part" although it would not fit in with todays pc world. Father of Cherie Blair if I have my facts right.
Ahh Vera with her faux stone faced terraced house and her duck "muriels" on the wall. Quite young by today's standards but it was emphysema and I read that she did smoke quite heavily.

petek

Über Member
Yep Hilda Ogden had the plaster ducks and a 'Muriel' on her sitting room wall.
RIP Liz Dawn and Tony Booth.
Apropos 'Til death us do part' . When that was on telly if I had a pound for everytime somebody in our Workingmens club said "That Alf Garnett has got it right" , and the ale was under ten bob a pint then I'd have been pi**ed most nights.
Warren Mitchell dissembled somewhat in claiming that Alf Garnett was for laughing at rather than agreeing with.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Warren Mitchell dissembled somewhat in claiming that Alf Garnett was for laughing at rather than agreeing with.
Till Death Us Do Part backfired spectacularly from it's intended purpose. Alf Garnett became something of a working class hero, regarded with affection rather than contempt. I was at West Ham a couple of times in the sixties when Warren Mitchell appeared in character and on both occasions the roof nearly came off the stadium with the reception he got.

classic33

Leg End Member
That was Hilda Ogden.
You know your Coronation Street.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Tony Booth was good with Alf Garnett in "Till Death Us Do Part" although it would not fit in with todays pc world.

Today's more balanced world, surely.
Just as much as it made fun of the racist, that show also gave the actual racists a misguided affirmation that there were still people out there on TV just like them and their views were at worst, cheeky and funny. Sadly, 80% of Al Murray's audience are proof that even in 2017, there are still too many that don't recognise that they're the punchline.

Tim Hall

Tony Booth was good with Alf Garnett in "Till Death Us Do Part" although it would not fit in with todays pc world. Father of Cherie Blair if I have my facts right.
I read somewhere, some time ago, that he was related to John Wilkes Booth, who gained fame by spoiling Mrs. Lincoln's night at the theatre. I have no idea whether this is true though.

Top Bottom