Scr3 Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

Hi, no real reason in my question but on a scale of 1 - 10, how would you rate the Giant SCR3 frame? Obviously not compared to full carbon frames, but Im just wondering as to how good it is, and how much I should really spend on smaller upgrades.

paul

Giant SCR3 frame

Rating 10. I've had mine 6 months, been out in all weathers and conditions, done over 1,000 miles recent racing, training and commuting to work.(latter 3 days a week) I alternate weekend training with Scott mountain bike. Giant SCR 3 has held up to everything so far, no problems.

RedBike

I'm not too sure about the SCR but Giant normally use the same frame through-out their range. So I wouldn't be too surprised if the SCR1 has exactly the same frame.

The frames very comfortable for alu and it's relatively light. You'd have to spend quite a lot of money to get anything significantly better. Although contry to the above post I don't think it makes a good race bike. The geometry is just too relaxed.

As for upgrades, it has to be the tyres first. Mitchelin pro3 / Conti gp 4000's will just transform the bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cheap upgrades..

Good tyres - Michelin Pro Race 2/3 and Conti's will be great.
Cork bar tape - fantastic stuff
New pads - Salmon Coolstop etc.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Done 2477miles on my SCR4. Got it just before xmas. Its been out in all weathers.
New saddle, brake pads and tyres are what i've put on and its a nice bike.
The SCR range do all have the same frame which maks upgrading pretty simple.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Nope

mondobongo

Über Member
The frame will be the same throughout the SCR range its Giants way. I have a 2.0 very very pleased with it apart from the wheels which were nasty formulas but have now been upgraded. Looking at removing a couple of spacers over coming weeks to drop the bars a little lower other than that keeping it till I can afford a custom Yates.

Mortiroloboy

I have the SCR4 which is my winter hack, as far as I know the frame is the same throughout the SCR range, my 4 has Cro Mo forks, the rest of the range have better(?) carbon comp forks.

I swapped the OE Alex DA 22 wheels for some Aksium race and changed the OE pads for some Aztecs.

I actually find the OE saddle very comfy.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User259iroloboy said:
I have the SCR4 which is my winter hack, as far as I know the frame is the same throughout the SCR range, my 4 has Cro Mo forks, the rest of the range have better(?) carbon comp forks.

I swapped the OE Alex DA 22 wheels for some Aksium race and changed the OE pads for some Aztecs.

I actually find the OE saddle very comfy.

Did you notice much of a benefit by swapping to the Aksiums?

Mortiroloboy

Fab Foodie said:
Did you notice much of a benefit by swapping to the Aksiums?

FF, hello, yes I did, less weight ( not much less, but less) better hubs, and more pleasing aesthetically, and they make the bike feel more sprightly, well worth the £95 they cost me.:smile:

OP
OP
roadiewill

roadiewill

Just a quick question about the SCR3, I changed the tyres the other day and having put the wheels back on, Ive noticed that the wheel is no longer central - its slightly to the right by about 5mm, This then cause the right hand side brake block to have greater contact than the left one. Ive checked that the wheel is fitted to rotate the right way also. Any ideas?

Top Bottom