Scrabble on line.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Does anyone on CC play it? I play on line with my wife ,two daughters and two complete strangers. Sometimes with someone in France but I find it harder to think of words in French .

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I used to in the first lockdown, but was always amazed at how slow some people (random strangers) were between turns. I used to encourage the kids to challenge their grannie to keep her amused.

I have never tried it with French (or Welsh) words.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I started to play Scrabble every Thursday night with my mum before her tea [she's 89] a few years ago. We usually play 2 games and it's very competitive! She used to play in a group of four similarly old ladies but they fell out over the speed of play and too much chatting!

I keep the score... and worked out the number of games the other day- it's well over 250. Combined scores are usually over 500 a game which I think is pretty good- highest single word score? 148 - but can't remember how.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, much better with real people over a glass or two
It will be a mug of tea for me. I never really did 'a glass or two', more like '8 or more glasses'. Better for me to leave the demon drink alone now! :whistle:

Combined scores are usually over 500 a game which I think is pretty good- highest single word score? 148 - but can't remember how.
I managed to score just over 500 points a couple of times. It obviously takes a lot of luck as well as skill. If you don't get the right letters at a time when you can use them all up in the right places, then you will not get a huge score no matter how well you play.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It will be a mug of tea for me. I never really did 'a glass or two', more like '8 or more glasses'. Better for me to leave the demon drink alone now! :whistle:

I managed to score just over 500 points a couple of times. It obviously takes a lot of luck as well as skill. If you don't get the right letters at a time when you can use them all up in the right places, then you will not get a huge score no matter how well you play.
We only get over 500 when I add both our scores together!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
My BIL is a Scrabble champion here. Unfortunately he's also a lazy barsteward and lives off me and his sister.

Can't beat Monopoly.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Does anyone on CC play it? I play on line with my wife ,two daughters and two complete strangers. Sometimes with someone in France but I find it harder to think of words in French .
Yes, I play online and have done for 10-12 years. I haven't played for two years because it can become addictive. I've always played random opponents selected by the programme.

Another reason for stopping was the increasing number of people who were cheating.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just found my battered old Scrabble set.

I was examining it and spotted something written on the underside of the box which instantly transported me back to being a shy, awkward teenager...

"[Name of a girl that I really fancied] was here, as they say" written neatly in her handwriting.

My nervous response to girl-of-my-dreams, rather than suggesting that we put the Scrabble set away and do something more interesting instead, was... (I still cringe at this stupid remark blurting randomly out of my mouth!) "I wish that [name of her schoolfriend] was here!" ...

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :banghead:

So that was the end of that romance! What a fool I was when I was young... :blush: :laugh:

simongt

Guru
Two maiden aunts of mine frequently used to play Scrabble and they had a simple rule about words allowed. A dictionary was always at hand and if a word wasn't in said dictionary, it didn't get on the board. :okay:

Top Bottom