Scrabble on line.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Two maiden aunts of mine frequently used to play Scrabble and they had a simple rule about words allowed. A dictionary was always at hand and if a word wasn't in said dictionary, it didn't get on the board. :okay:
I used to use my Concise Oxford Dictionary but these days I might use the dictionary app on my phone.

Dag Hammar

Here’s a true story from about 35 years ago when I regularly played Scrabble.
Already laid on the board was the word ‘quince’
My opponent added the letter ‘y’ to the end, thereby making ‘quincey’
You can’t have that I said, it’s not a proper word.
His response, in the form of a question was “ How does quince jam taste ? “
What could I do but answer “quincey“.

Dag Hammar

If my opponent had posed the question as “What does quince jam taste of ?” then yes, I could have replied “of quince”.
The question was skilfully worded.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Here’s a true story from about 35 years ago when I regularly played Scrabble.
Already laid on the board was the word ‘quince’
My opponent added the letter ‘y’ to the end, thereby making ‘quincey’
You can’t have that I said, it’s not a proper word.
His response, in the form of a question was “ How does quince jam taste ? “
What could I do but answer “quincey“.
I love this story but you were correct in the first place as "quincey" isn't a word. You were then very gracious in accepting your friend's reasoning.

Well done.

ColinJ

I love this story but you were correct in the first place as "quincey" isn't a word. You were then very gracious in accepting your friend's reasoning.

Well done.
I checked it on my Chambers dictionary app, just in case it actually WAS a word, but no... BTW - if you like crosswords, the dictionary app and its sibling thesaurus app are very good. (Those links are to the Android apps, but they are also available for Apple devices.)

I must see if I can track down my missing Concise Oxford dictionary though. It is about 30 years old so it won't have any of the many new words that have come along in that time, but it is nice to browse through a paper book.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I checked it on my Chambers dictionary app, just in case it actually WAS a word, but no... BTW - if you like crosswords, the dictionary app and its sibling thesaurus app are very good. (Those links are to the Android apps, but they are also available for Apple devices.)

I must see if I can track down my missing Concise Oxford dictionary though. It is about 30 years old so it won't have any of the many new words that have come along in that time, but it is nice to browse through a paper book.
It could not be a word because the spelling is incorrect. Quince would become "quincy" if it existed just as juice becomes "juicy," ice "icy," slime "slimy," grease "greasy" and so on.

carpiste

Guru
"Classic words" is a good scrabble game on the tablet. It`s free to play/ download and is pretty decent. You can play offline too which is a bonus if your stuck in a waiting room with no wifi :smile: It records your achievemants, best score total, best word score.

ColinJ

It could not be a word because the spelling is incorrect. Quince would become "quincy" if it existed just as juice becomes "juicy," ice "icy," slime "slimy," grease "greasy" and so on.
English isn't as regular as that! :okay:

I present in evidence: price/pricey. (Some dictionaries accept pricy, but the preferred spelling is with the 'e'.)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
To avoid endless arguments between the "Four old ladies Scrabble group", I printed out a list of allowed 2 and 3 letter words which saved a lot of time and arguments.... I'll see if I can find it.

My mum memorised the list years ago and despite age related dementia can recall every one: "Qi" and "Zo" are killers when located on the double and treble letter/ word score tiles.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Here's the 3 letter words list- can't find the 2 letter word list but it'll be on Google somewhere.

Attachments

• scrabble list of three letter words.pdf
    88.6 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom