Scrap bike parts in Manchester/Stockport area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sun Superlight

On the approach road to our local council tip (Halifax), a Transit lorry with a large cardboard sign leaning against it saying ' YOUR SCRAP METAL PLEASE' is often parked up.
The lorry is usually quite full of scrap and this often includes bikes, some of which look well worth salvaging to me.
If you are desperate for bike parts and feeling lucky then a cardboard sign may just be worth a try.
Having seen some surprisingly decent looking bikes on this chaps lorry, I've been tempted to try it myself.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Our local tip is the same, "can't sell anything or I get the sack mate". So I asked the name of the metal dealer where it gets 'recycled'. Turns out it is a 25/30 mile trip down the motorway. They will not sell you anything as they melt it all regardless. Feels like we are going backwards here.

Hi Percy.

MANCHESTER: You or anyone else have luck finding a place with cheap 2nd hand or scrap bikes and parts? I've been looking recently for parts for a bike trailer, in particular 20" wheels and an old frame. Ebay says £30+ for wheels, which i think is a bit expensive as you can buy a trailer from Ebay, again, for £70. I've found preloved.co.uk helpful but still not scrap prices. I'm getting involved with a new bike coop, which might have some parts, though it has just started up.
I'll message when i get to the bottom of it.

Liam

knotbury

I rode the Middlewood way last week. At The Marple end is a very smart utility/recycling site but just outside a guy sits next to a van collecting scrap metal before it enters the site. He may be worth a visit.

Top Bottom