screw on five speed freewheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've taken a Regina Oro 5 speed freewheel off my 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman. The hub is a Campag and has marked on it " England 1370x24 tpi BSC". I've found a Sunrace with the same gearing. It is said to be 1375x24. Does anyone know if this will be okay for my hub?
Thanks.

si_c

Guru
It'll be fine - the 1375 means it's an ISO rather than BSC freewheel and is the depth of the freewheel from front to back in inches. It works out to about .2mm in communist units.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Could get a 6sp on there. A few years back, the LBS said 'can't get you a 5sp so we've screwed a 6sp block on'. I only realised how thankful I should be when attacking a hard climb with mates on a club run. Miracle: my largest sprocket was now a 28t. With a 40t small chainring this was a 'get out of jail card' on a double chevron climb. To all those of you who can climb a 1:5 on a 43" gear: chapeau.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Could get a 6sp on there. A few years back, the LBS said 'can't get you a 5sp so we've screwed a 6sp block on'. I only realised how thankful I should be when attacking a hard climb with mates on a club run. Miracle: my largest sprocket was now a 28t. With a 40t small chainring this was a 'get out of jail card' on a double chevron climb. To all those of you who can climb a 1:5 on a 43" gear: chapeau.
an advantage of friction shifters over STIs

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can't anyway get STIs for 5, 6 or 7sp, but I get your thrust.
Clearly meant SIS ;)

And we all have a 24" gear for the steepest stuff. No point carrying a metal dinner plate around on the back wheel ;)

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I've taken a Regina Oro 5 speed freewheel off my 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman. The hub is a Campag and has marked on it " England 1370x24 tpi BSC". I've found a Sunrace with the same gearing. It is said to be 1375x24. Does anyone know if this will be okay for my hub?
Thanks.
Have just removed a 5 speed from a circa 1978 Raleigh racer together with shifter and mech. Was going sell them as one lot. Let me know if your interested.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Don't forget the new chain. Sunrace stuff is pretty good for the money. They bought the tops from Sturmey Archer but that was a while ago lo

Top Bottom