Screwing in rear mech drop out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

they should sit flush so if the dropout is correct they are the wrong screws do they thread into the frame without the dropout if so Id contact the supplier and get the correct screws the heads look to large do they sit flush in the old hanger if so they may have changed the countersink can t see that somehow.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
just tried and they don't thread into the frame however the frame doesn't have threaded holes - they also don't sit flush on the old dropout either - with this investigation...seems unsuprising that the dropout snapped as it can't have fitted in very securely - must have been held together by the rear mech screwed into the dropout.
Unless there is more that I can do - back to Ribble to get the proper screws?

OK. Ive been looking at the ribelle 3d rendering and have 3 questions:

http://www.dedacciai.net/else/telaio_ribelle_3d.pdf

1) Are the holes on the new dropout threaded?
2) Is either side of the hole on the new dropout countersunk
3) When trying to fit to frame, which side are you trying to screw from (inside or outside of the frame)

I'm praying that you will say "outside of the frame". I would expect the droput to be threaded and the frame to have a little countersunk hole on the inside so you could screw in perfectly from the inside with the screw still flush.

Am probably wrong, but i'm a cocky sod and 99% confident that i'm right. ;) If there is a chance i might be, then check this before sending anything back to Ribble.

Tollers

02GF74

Über Member
why is this so difficult?

look at holes in the broken and new hangers - are they identical? i.e. same diameter, threaded or not, countersunk (recessed)?

if not, then you have problem.

you say you are using the old screws and now they do not screw into the frame - how can that be?

is the frame or hanger threaded? i.e. should the screws go into the frame from behind and screw into the hanger?

sorry, it is quite hard to work out from pics and not actually being there.

ah, just seen this:

however the frame doesn't have threaded holes - they also don't sit flush on the old dropout either

looks like the screws go through the fame and screw into the hanger - try fitting them to the frame from th inside i.e. the heads are nearest to the gears and then they screw into the hanger - just a guess.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Tollers/02 all sorted - the dropout is now fitted! Alan from Ribble got back to me and I was just putting the countersunk screws in the opposite side - through the frame and it's worked a treat...now just have to sort the rest of the bike -heheh!

ttcycle said:
Tollers/02 all sorted - the dropout is now fitted! Alan from Ribble got back to me and I was just putting the countersunk screws in the opposite side - through the frame and it's worked a treat...now just have to sort the rest of the bike -heheh!

So......what you're saying is......we are right? Good old Alan.....the guy seems to dissprove ribble's bad reputation.

M

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yep- Alan (and you guys too) has been really helpful- he had to ask the mechanic as well

Was me being dense though!

Top Bottom