Screwing in rear mech drop out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
The rear mech drop out got damaged on my bike- got a replacement and have tried screwing it in with the two supplied screws - however, it doesn't seem to be sitting in and the screws aren't keeping it into place for me to fit the rear mech/derailleur to it. The size of the dropout is the same.

Any tips?

lukesdad

Is the frame damaged ?

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
frame's been checked over and it's fine - the drop out is the identical one sent to me from the same frame stockists - compared it yesterday and it's same shape and size...I'm stumped on why it is sitting right!

lukesdad

most hangers take counter sunk screws as opposed to panheads so they sit flush and locate properly into the hanger they are tapered on the undreside of the head.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yep -they look like countersunk screws - they're quite short on the threads though - technically they must have fit as I don't know how the dropout would have held the rear mech otherwise.

lukesdad

might be an idea to post some pics.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I didn't get any screws with the new dropout - first pic= frame, 2nd pic= old broken dropout, 3 rd pic= replacement with old screws screwed in and last pic is depth of screws in dropout

lukesdad

On the last pic. the heads arnt flush with the dropout have you just left them like that or as that as far in as they will sit.

Top Bottom