Scribe rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
This wheel is very close to the left side chain stay, it is properly seated. Might the skewer be bent out of shape or is the wheel gone skew whiff? The wheel is less than a year old, winter miles only. I've never seen this before.

Svendo

Guru
There are several possibilities:
It could be normal if the chain stays are asymmetric;
The wheel dish is off (the rim isn’t above the centre of the hub);
The frame is misaligned (either chain stays are bent or pointing slightly off or just the drop outs are not square. Which could be as simple as paint overspray on one side).

I think it’s unlikely a wheel would lose its dish but remain true so if it definitely wasn’t like this originally then something has changed.

Reactions: C R

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Suggests it needs re-dishing, but as @Svendo has put, it shouldn't unless something else is wrong.

You'd find that out by using a dishing meter guage, which your LBS should have if you don't.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I had this a while back and thought it was down to the frame, or something. My LBS showed me the wheel had been poorly dished and £10 later I was sorted (and resolved to learn more: which I have). Am still riding the same bike. Wheel was retired a while ago: hub failed but the spokes and rim live on, laced by me to a new hub.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeah, most likely dishing. You can do it yourself with a spoke key if confident.
The spokes on the RHS only need tightening, try by half a turn, and the LHS loosening by the same. Keep an eye on trueness by putting a zip tie on the stay touching the rim.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
Turns out it’s not the wheels but the drop out, it is a little out, I’m guessing wear and tear on the carbon. I put a small shim in and this has realigned the wheel perfectly. Whether or not it’s a long term fix remains to be seen

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Needs further investigation if you say it's wear in the dropout. If the QR is holding the wheel firmly I can't see how wear has occurred unless it's moving.

OP
OP
P

paxterg

Veteran
It had been loose after a spin, i thought maybe this caused some wear.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have you tried putting the wheel in the 'wrong' way, with the cassette on the left? If it is drop out wear then the tyre will be the same distance from the chainstay as the proper way round. If it's dishing then this will show.

Top Bottom