Scwable Marathon plus tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gasinayr

Über Member
Bought a couple of new tyres for my touring bike, on the tyres was a leaflet advising to check out their web site for tips. Checked it out and found this. Use an old toe clip strap or cable tie to hold the tyre in place on the rim when fitting it, works like a third hand. Tried it today fitting tyres, works well.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I fitted Marathons to the Brommie in December 2011. They still look like new.
I wonder if they'll ever wear out?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
After you do a few you will be able to do them without the straps, the key is pushing the tyre into the wheel as you fit it, as per the Spa Cycles video. (Who does use straps!)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I never have any trouble fitting Marathon Plus tyres. If you want a real lesson in tyre fitting try Continental 4 season tyres. I hope I never get a puncture.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I fitted Marathons to the Brommie in December 2011. They still look like new.
I wonder if they'll ever wear out?
Getting on for 4000 miles and my rear one is a bit worn (Plus Tour). But I am frequently hauling luggage and more, so possibly more wear as a result.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've done the strap method and it did help with brand new tyres, once they've been off and on a couple of times they get easier.

I don't find M+ as bad as others make out TBH. Victoria Rqdonneurs on the other hand are works of Satan in a really foul mood.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
[QUOTE 4320886, member: 259"]I trust you sent it back under guarantee and got a new one![/QUOTE]

I didn't - but being fair, it was a 406 (20")
trike wheel and they're absolute pigs to get tyres on and off so unless it had been sold as indestructible I would not have claimed.

Top Bottom