Sealent leakage???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gelfy666

Über Member
Is it normal for sealent to leak out of a tyre? Well on the top of the tyre to be accurate. Bike hasn't moved for 2 days and now I've a wet patch for no apparent reason. Confused.
IMG_20170919_151953879.jpg

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I have seen references to tyres "sweating" quite a bit on here. I would imagine it's caused by the release solvent they use to remove the tyre from the mould, although I could be wrong, as some tyre instructions advise cleaning the inside of a tyre with alcohol before running tubeless.

It seems to be that the surfactant used as a wetting agent in the sealant is migrating across the membrane ( tyre ). Some sealants have different concentrations of surfactant in them, some membranes ( tyres ) are more porous, to the surfactant than others, or a combination of the two factors.

U

User482

Is it normal for sealent to leak out of a tyre? Well on the top of the tyre to be accurate. Bike hasn't moved for 2 days and now I've a wet patch for no apparent reason. Confused. View attachment 374328
I had the same recently on my road tyre, once it had become quite badly worn (which may or may not be related). Upon removing the tyre, I found quite a lot of dried sealant on the inside of the damp area. No puncture holes. @Racing roadkill seems to have a good explanation.

Anyway: new tyre and new sealant, no damp patch.

Flyboy

I have a strange one , just tried to let air out my tyre , not a chance . It will take air I just can't release it . All I can think is that my sealant has formed a flap on the inside of my valve . It's on both wheels don't ya know.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a strange one , just tried to let air out my tyre , not a chance . It will take air I just can't release it . All I can think is that my sealant has formed a flap on the inside of my valve . It's on both wheels don't ya know.

Sealant will often gum up the valves, assuming your are removable value, take it out and clean it.

Flyboy

I could only take the inner out , as being tubeless I would have to take my tyre off to remove the complete valve.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I could only take the inner out , as being tubeless I would have to take my tyre off to remove the complete valve.
That was what I meant, now it is out surely you can poke enough to let the air out so you can deflate and clean out the dried sealant?

Top Bottom