Anybody seen "sweating" on tubeless tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's an interesting discussion going on on Singletrack about this, they are mostly mountain bikers so I thought I'd nip over here and ask if anybody with road tyres filled with latex has noticed sweating on the tyres.

Opinion is divided between water from the latex solution and oil used as an improver for the rubber.

??

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Oil feels oily. Water feels watery.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
But people on STW report that it's an oily liquid that doesn't evaporate.

If it was water, it would be passing through the molecular structure of the rubber in the same way that air escapes slowly. This is not osmosis; osmosis is a process of molecular migration through a permeable barrier into a solution of greater concentration.

If it was water, it would be passing through the molecular structure of the rubber in the same way that air escapes slowly. This is not osmosis; osmosis is a process of molecular migration through a permeable barrier into a solution of greater concentration.
Yeah thanks for the science lesson ( not ) it's reverse osmosis.

Jody

Stubborn git

Yes it is an oily substance that doesnt dry, so part of the stans fluid. Happens on my nobby nics where after a year is start developing wet patches on the sidewalls and in between the tread. This doesn't correspond to where the tyre has been punctured. When I posted it up on STW and from what I can gather from looking up online it seems to be limited to a vertain few manufacturers. I was told its not an issue and keep riding them.

Looks like this after the bike has been stood
592fa4039e6e4ee416a54d637ceca380.jpg

mythste

Veteran
That's a common problem with tubeless tyres. It's a type of osmosis, the water from the latex solution passes through the tyres by osmosis.

Curious. On the grounds that what's happening sounds nothing like my (admittedly limited) knowledge of osmosis!

Whats the science out of curiosity?

lpretro1

Have only has this when fitting a new tubeless tyre - it occurs when the tubeless fluid seals all the minute holes in the walls of the tyres - wipe it away and it stops after a few hours once everything has sealed up

I am a new user of tubeless, and I have just noticed some wet patches on my Schwalbe S-ones's, I did wonder about it, thought I might have got some oil on them. I use a mixture of latex and water as sealant

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The tyre is not designed to be air tight, it doesn't have to be because it's designed to be used with an inner tube.

Which makes a tubeless conversion something of a bodge, although I suppose a bit of seepage is relatively harmless.

Levo-Lon

Guru
People on STW like to argue..just like here..its a tyre full of sealer..it seals..
you can't see air leaking unless you ride underwater..sealer is easy to see..simples..

had a stupid argument on there about brake fluid and water absorption .some people know more than scientist's. .its very funny at times

Top Bottom