Seals for SASO suspension forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone,
I have sent the following to registered Mekken dealers but I'm yet to receive a response.
There doesn't appear to be a UK dealer!

I purchased a recumbent bicycle from Future Cycles, Forest Row, UK, back in 2007 or 8. They closed in 2014, I think!
The bike was fitted with SASO forks which don't seem to have any visible identification marks apart from SASO and 'carbon fiber technology'. I think there's a relationship between SASO and Mekken.

My issue is, I don't know what seals to purchase!
You may be able to help me with the following information.

The stanchions are 30 mm.
The main seal, which fits in the lower leg and accepts the stanchion, has an identifier on it: D40026.
There's no damping adjustment at the bottom of the forks. Just an allen bolt in each leg.
There is no lock-out!

The left leg is for air the right for fluid. Adjustments to both can be made on the crown at the head of each leg respectively.

If you need any further information, like measurements, photos etc. please let me know.
Kind regards,
itracm

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you can't find the seals the only solution might be to replace them with some second hand ones. If you don't need suspension you could try some solid ones at low cost and save a load of weight.

wisdom

Guru
If seals are like bearings.Those numbers you quote could identify them.Its unlikely SASOmade their own seals.
The numbers on caged bearings are universal,in that you quote the bearing number and you can source the bearings .

OP
OP
itracm

itracm

Thanks for all your responses.
I've posted a few pictures of measurements of the seal in question.,

If you can't find the seals the only solution might be to replace them with some second hand ones. If you don't need suspension you could try some solid ones at low cost and save a load of weight.

I'm reluctant to change for rigid forks. Originally I bought the bike for comfort and durability. It's lived up to that royally!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
itracm

itracm

I may have misled you in the op.
It may be sprung rather than air.
I can't find anywhere to pump it up!
I removed the adjuster and took a couple of pictures.
Perhaps someone can identify it.
UPDATE:
There are two springs, plastic seats and several foam tokens.
Not air then!

Last edited:

wisdom

Guru
Pictures arent showing.
Maybe take the seal to a bearing supplier they may be able to match one to it.
When I used to work on ships and hgv,s we used to just get them by size.or numbers on them.
Never make specific unless it was one used a lot.

OP
OP
itracm

itracm

Pictures arent showing.
Maybe take the seal to a bearing supplier they may be able to match one to it.
When I used to work on ships and hgv,s we used to just get them by size.or numbers on them.
Never make specific unless it was one used a lot.
Thanks Wisdom,
I'll give that a go.
I think the pictures have been blocked because I'm a noob to this site.
If a mod sees this please make the pictures visible as I've been asked for them and I don't have a million words/picture :rolleyes:.

C'mon mods, we wanna see those pics. I'm sure we can help.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If a mod sees this please make the pictures visible as I've been asked for them and I don't have a million words/picture :rolleyes:.
Hello and welcome to CC!
I have tried, but the problem seems to be that the links you posted for the pictures are empty.
Would you like to try again, please?
Cheers!

OP
OP
itracm

itracm

Hello and welcome to CC!
I have tried, but the problem seems to be that the links you posted for the pictures are empty.
Would you like to try again, please?
Cheers!
Thanks Mods.
I'll try one and if that's successful I'll upload the lot.
Here goes...
Ah! I was trying to insert and image rather than upload file.
Insert image doesn't seem to work!
Part Number.jpg
Part Number.jpg
Inside Diameter 30mm.jpg
Outside Diameter 35mm.jpg
Overall Diameter 35mm.jpg
Depth 15mm.jpg
Part Number.jpg
Inside Diameter 30mm.jpg
Outside Diameter 35mm.jpg
Overall Diameter 35mm.jpg
Depth 15mm.jpg

Those are standard seals. However, your measurements may or may not work. Measure the stanchion and seal inner seat on the fork outer.

It seems like you have 30mm stanchions but that's not a standard size.

OP
OP
itracm

itracm

Those are standard seals. However, your measurements may or may not work. Measure the stanchion and seal inner seat on the fork outer.

It seems like you have 30mm stanchions but that's not a standard size.

Thanks for your response.
The stanchion is 30 mm and the inner seat on the fork outer is 40 mm.
I have found seals with these dimensions but so far only half the depth of the originals.
I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your response.
The stanchion is 30 mm and the inner seat on the fork outer is 40 mm.
I have found seals with these dimensions but so far only half the depth of the originals.
I'll keep looking.
Seals are so cheap, that I won't hesitate to experiment with the ones you can find.

Top Bottom