Season of Mists, Oct 3rd, 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No Garz?

I am now 75% certain I will be doing this, the only issue being I have a wedding do the night before, but I could elect to drive...
Sorry, if you do Season of Mists, it will have to be on your bike! ;)

I haven't touched a bike for 23 days and didn't ride much in the couple of months before that so I must be really unfit. I'm certainly heavier than I've been for 15 months.

I've been doing some hill walking but I can't see that having maintained my cycling fitness.

Looks like another sufferfest for me!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Weathers not looking too good for Sunday, but its 3 days away so it will probably change.
I'm watching the forecast carefully! If it turns out to be for foul weather then I'll probably skip SoM this year. The idea of 7 hours of grovelling in strong winds and heavy rain isn't very appealing!

Still, the forecast for the next few days is for alternating days of sunshine and rain so if the wind picks up or slows down we could end up with sunshine on Sunday instead of Saturday or Monday. I'll decide on Saturday evening whether I'm going to do the ride. 

bigjim

Legendary Member
Forecast is persistant rain for sunday.
I'm watching the forecast carefully! If it turns out to be for foul weather then I'll probably skip SoM this year. The idea of 7 hours of grovelling in strong winds and heavy rain isn't very appealing!

Still, the forecast for the next few days is for alternating days of sunshine and rain so if the wind picks up or slows down we could end up with sunshine on Sunday instead of Saturday or Monday. I'll decide on Saturday evening whether I'm going to do the ride.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Forecast is persistant rain for sunday.
It's changed on the BBC and Met Office forecasts - now they suggest that it will be sunny, mild, and not too windy.

I'll make a final decision tomorrow.

I looked out the window today when it was pouring down and was very glad not to be out climbing over Waddington Fell or one of the other big hills on the SoM route.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
chancerain.gif
Sunday Chance of Rain. Overcast. High: 12 °C . Wind South 14 km/h . 30% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 2.09 mm).

nt_chancerain.gif
Sunday Night Chance of Rain. Overcast. Low: 4 °C . Wind West 7 km/h . 30% chance of precipitation (water equivalent of 1.33 mm).

Weather Underground

Also there is a weather station at Clowbridge here:-

Clowbridge

And Higham here:-

Higham

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The BBC and Met Office pretty much agree with that. Sunshine to start with, chance of a few showers later. That's what it was like last year and it was fine. I'm in! (Subject to entry on line being accepted.)

Alun

Guru
Yep, I'm in too!

zacklaws

Guru
Yep, I'm in too!

I'm still in too. I've done just under a 1000 miles this month in preparation for this ride so regardless of the weather I'll be turning up. Don't know what I'm wearing yet to make myself distingishable in the crowd for those who don't know me, but I'll be on my Trek Madone, blue and white.

I'll post in morning just before I set off, and hopefully I will not have to have a waterproof top on as I have a feeling somehow that one of my yellow water proof tops will not stand out in the crowd. If I have time tonight I may even cut out a pair of C's in fluroscent red to stick on my helmet.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm still in too. I've done just under a 1000 miles this month in preparation for this ride so regardless of the weather I'll be turning up. 
You've done nearly 1,000 miles already in October - Jeez, you should turn pro! ;)

I've done less than 200 miles since the start of August so I will definitely not be riding quickly! In fact, I will probably spend half the ride wondering why I subject myself to such pain without having prepared myself for it.

Anybody who fancies a scenic GPS-navigated hilly meander - wait at the back for me!

Right, I'd better go and wash my kit and get those new Crud Roadracer 2s fitted to my bike.

zacklaws

Guru
I'm all ready of set off, just put the bike in the car and cannot believe how warm and still it is outside, i think I have put too much on and I'm cooking, I even considered a base layer, glad I did not now but I will bring it with me as it may be cooler inland. Weather forecast does not look too bad on the BBC, but another one says heavy rain all day.

For those who don't know me, I will be in a red top and red and black helmet and I have added a pair of C's in fluroscent red each side of my helmet above the ears and a fluroroscent red spot in the front center. Unless its raining at start, then it will be a yellow top, probably just like millions of the others.

Hopefully meet you all at the start.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Aargh - it's raining quite heavily here and it looks like it will be most of the time that we will be out! I think I might regret doing this ride...  :sad:

Now the decision is, what to wear? It might be too warm to wear my heavy duty waterproof jacket but too wet to wear my lightweight one. Perhaps I should wear a gilet plus the lightweight jacket; at least I could take one of them off if the weather clears up.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
I awoke at 6am and it was tipping it down here, went back to bed for an hour and it was coming down even harder, so bollards to doing 100km in this, there won't be any pleassure in it at all for sure...

Top Bottom