Seat Angle and Seat Post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Corker

Hi, I recently replaced my seat post from an old one that didn't fit my bike properly when I bought it (it just sat on the top bit of the frame)

With the new seat post, For some reason the seat angle was alway angle backwards.

I thought that these things are standard and looking at it, thought it might be the clamping bars on the seat (again quite old)

I've bought a new seat thinking the angles would work together so the seat would sit flat, but no, still angled backwards.

Surely seatposts ar standard and seat angle should not be a problem. It was bought from a good bike shop. The bike is a 90s Giant Racer, so again shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a bit exasperated and cannot see any helpful info online. What is going wrong?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Loosen the clamp at the top of the seat post under your saddle, adjust the angle to your requirements and tighten up.

Sharky

Guru
Which way is the seat post? The clamp side should be on the rear side. If on the front side, depending on the clamp, you may not be able to get a level saddle.

OP
OP
C

Corker

Thanks, I'll try flipping the clamp around later tonight, it doesn't look as if it will make a difference as I have thought about that, but it's work a go isn't it.

At the moment the clamp is angled as far forwards as it will go on the seat post and as you can see it is nowhere near level. A bit of a groinbuster.

Attachments

• IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
C

Corker

Or do you mean flipping the whole seat post around? I'd imagine that will just angle it forwards?

Sharky

Guru
Spin the post 180 degrees and refit the saddle. It will go level.

If you need to position the saddle more forward, you'll have to try a different seat post. An "In-line" post eliminates the set back or to get really forward, a "fast forward" post will do the trick.

Good luck
Keith

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Looks to me like you have the wrong diameter seat post as well , looks to narrow from that pic ?

boydj

Legendary Member
Seatposts come in different diameters and yours is too thin. You can tell from the wording on the post it is the wrong way round, as well as the position of the clamp which should be in line with or behind the centre line of the post.

Saddle needs to stay where it is facing the right way. You need to unscrew the seat clamp and bolt for the seat and spin the post 180degrees so the curve goes towards the back of the bike not the front. It is currently inserted backwards.

screenman

Legendary Member
Spin the post 180 degrees and refit the saddle. It will go level.

If you need to position the saddle more forward, you'll have to try a different seat post. An "In-line" post eliminates the set back or to get really forward, a "fast forward" post will do the trick.

Good luck
Keith

Could you not loosen the clamp, hold the post and spin the bike?

Top Bottom