Seat clamp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You just need to know the OD of the seat-tube.

kyuss

Veteran
Assuming it's a 27.2 diameter seatpost (which most modern bikes are) it's almost certainly a 31.8mm clamp. Best thing to do though to be on the safe side is take it to the lbs and they'll measure it for you.

bonj2

Easiest and best method is to measure it.

Why haz the seatpost clamp broken anyway? It shouldn't be the sort of thing that wears out.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm slightly worried that you've put the 4 bolt clamping box mechanism thing for your Hamax child seat onto the seatpost and not onto the seat tube of the frame where it should be. If this is the case, it's very dangerus and NOT safe. If you are attaching this child seat to a small framed bike you often need an adaptor to make it fit - DO NOT attach it to the seat post!

02GF74

Über Member
tundragumski said:
I'm slightly worried that you've put the 4 bolt clamping box mechanism thing for your Hamax child seat onto the seatpost and not onto the seat tube of the frame where it should be. If this is the case, it's very dangerus and NOT safe. If you are attaching this child seat to a small framed bike you often need an adaptor to make it fit - DO NOT attach it to the seat post!

good point. If the post breaks, you'll end up on your back side staring up at the sky, and f*** know where the kiddie attachment witll end up.

bonj2

It hasn't broken. We've got a Hamax child seat which slots into a bracket on the seat post. Because the bike has a 14" frame you can't get the child seat on without removing the bike saddle. I'm fed up of having to get the allen key out every time I do this. So I want a quick release clamp.

*sigghhhhh...*** - well you know i don't agree with child seats that only clamp onto the seat post, but given that you're happy with this, then fair enough yes just measure the outer diameter of the seat tube.
Get a hope one for bling value.

bonj2

trio25 said:
They do break though Bonj, mine did on my road bike.

what possible force exerted during normal riding could cause the seatpost clamp to break, unless it's not been put on right? (and even so?)

bonj2

and what, a 14" frame? that sounds small, it's not a jump bike style one is it? (didn't have you down as the type...)

llllllll

bonj said:
what possible force exerted during normal riding could cause the seatpost clamp to break, unless it's not been put on right? (and even so?)

I broke one by overtightening the bolt and stripped the threads ;), I suppose that comes under the 'not been put on right' though.

e-rider

crappy member
A quick-release clamp would be the best option but beware as they tend to offer less tightening force then a normal bolt style clamp - if you are heavy (14 st+) you might find that your saddle goes down over time as you ride. They are also popular with theives!!! Why they take saddles I'll never know. I had a friend who kept having his handlebar stem stolen - what's that all about!!??!!

Back to sizing, there are only about 3 or 4 common sizes - 31.8, 34.9, 36.4 etc.(or smaller for 'old' style narrow steel tubes) Most likely to be 31.8 if your seatpost is 27.2 (which is a very common size) You'll have to either measure it or read it, as the size is often printed/stamped on the post below the min insertion line.

bonj2

llllllll said:
I broke one by overtightening the bolt and stripped the threads ;), I suppose that comes under the 'not been put on right' though.
Yes, you're right, it does.

Nope. It's for the petite person.

You know what a Subway is bonj. Stop being silly.

A carrera subway you mean? ;) I used to have one. It was a 20" one though.

So, basically what you're saying is - you've bought a child seat to carry your youngest child in, but rather than putting it on your own bike, you've decided to put it on the bike of your other child, and make them carry the extra weight because you don't want to bother carrying it yourself. Don't you think that's a bit lazy?

Top Bottom