Seat post material

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a 1966 Royal Enfield Revelation that I'm playing around with so it fits me. The no-name 22.2 mm steel seatpost I fitted is 370mm long with about 100 mm in the frame, so well within the minimum engagement marks. After 3 or so hours riding its bending backwards. OK, I'm 14 stone so quite a lump.

I'm seeking opinions on how best to select a seatpost that's up to the job. Best idea so far is to go for one advertised as Chromoly steel. Are there any brands to go for please, or other indicators of a high specification seatpost? I don't mind steel or aluminium alloy.

Thanks

Graham

midlife

Guru
Can't remember a seat post suffering from a rider on it and I've seen / ridden some pretty silly drillium posts BITD.

Is it the seat clip that's rotating which is common.?

OP
OP
graham bowers
Can't remember a seat post suffering from a rider on it and I've seen / ridden some pretty silly drillium posts BITD.

Is it the seat clip that's rotating which is common.?
Its definitely imitating a banana.
By the way, the application is a shopper bike.......no stunts!!

Attachments

• bentseatpost.JPG
    bentseatpost.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 61

Sharky

Guru
Are you sure the bend has been caused by the ride? It could be an intentional set back post to cater for larger riders? The frames are probably all the same size regardless of size?

OP
OP
graham bowers
Are you sure the bend has been caused by the ride? It could be an intentional set back post to cater for larger riders? The frames are probably all the same size regardless of size?
Fair suggestion, but I am 110% sure it was straight to start with. The first clue that it was bent was that the saddle nose started to point up a bit. Layback posts have the bend at the top, just under the seat, however with this one, the bend is just above where the seatpost exits the frame.

You are right that the frames are all one size, this is a 1960's shopper bike. https://bootiebike.com/royal_enfield_revelation/royal_enfield_revelation.htm

Top Bottom