Postwar UK Raleigh Roadsters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KoffMixtures

I'd like to compile a list of Raleigh 3 speed upright roadsters (UK, post war, until their demise in the 1990's?).
Model names, when introduced and discontinued.
During that period the frames changed in subtle ways, including basic geometry.
So it would be a nice 'historical' catalogue, which as far as I know hasn't been put together before.
As these common, everyday cycles were Raleigh's 'bread and butter' it seems a shame these details aren't recorded in one place.

I'd like to compile a list of Raleigh 3 speed upright roadsters (UK, post war, until their demise in the 1990's?).
Model names, when introduced and discontinued.
During that period the frames changed in subtle ways, including basic geometry.
So it would be a nice 'historical' catalogue, which as far as I know hasn't been put together before.
As these common, everyday cycles were Raleigh's 'bread and butter' it seems a shame these details aren't recorded in one place.

Good luck Mr. Koff, an ambitious endeavor if ever there was one. Would imagine it to be quite a tome when completed.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

It's a shame Tony Hadlands book is so far out of my reach, as I'm sure many of my questions may be answered there.
Anyone have a copy I could buy at a reasonable price, please?

ren531

Über Member
Have a look if you haven't already done so at Velocipediems back catalogue of videos on YouTube lots of them will be there and lot's of info on others too .

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had a Raleigh Wayfarer as a kid. Early 70s some time. Quite a common bike and I still see examples locked up in the street.

My sister had a similar bike, 3 speed, Raleigh (natch, was there any choice?) women's frame but I can't remember the model name.

V-CC

Tony Hadland's Raleigh book has just been completely revised and updated and can be ordered from here:

https://v-cc.org.uk/about/publications/

The Veteran-Cycle Club has a large amount of Raleigh cycle catalogues and leaflets, etc., many of them scanned into our online library and accessible by members.

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

Yes 'ren', I enjoy Rowans channel and look forward to each installment; in fact I've just made him aware of my intended project.

V-CC, thanks for the heads up on the updated Hadland book. I now have to decide if I can afford to become a member of your club to get hold of a copy.
Any idea what the print run is?

OP
OP
K

KoffMixtures

V-CC,
thank you.
Just joined your club, but to complete my book order I need a membership number.
How long does it take to process my membership and issue a number?

Top Bottom