seat post stuck..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
Cannot someone help me out here, l have a specialized allez elite and l want to adjust the seat height but the seat post is stuck in the frame and will not budge.
l've tried WD40 and twisting the seat but no movement at all..
Any suggestions welcome.

You could try taking the seat off and putting the seat post clamp in a vice, then you can use the leverage of the frame to try and move it. I've got the same problem but on a 1970's steel frame!

Other than that it's probably a case of keep lubing it and trying it, it will go eventually.

sidevalve

Über Member
Had exactly this problem on my Dawes. Poss solutions I found are 1- penetrating fluid applied over several days.
2- heat frame tube [rags soaked in boiling water], and ice pack on seat post.
After this it can get nasty and depends on how desperate you are to move the post.
Try not to use your favouite saddle as a twister however, use either moles, stilsons or an old saddle.
Emergency methods are, invert frame, remove BB, fill seat tube with diesel and leave 'till it begins to seep through. Finally you may have to destroy the seat post [as I did in the end] by cutting off the top and sawing a slot lengthways [heck of a job but it works] to allow it to be crushed up enough to break the bond.
This really is a last resort and I'd advise LOTS of time and penetrating fluid first !
Good Luck !

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
oh dear run to the hills and start screaming , and best of luck . i had to have 1 cut out a few years ago it took 7 hours and cost me £70 !

sabian92

Über Member
I had this problem - pour boiling water over the frame but not the seat post, then apply some proper chain lube (not WD40, it's not proper stuff) like Finish Line Wet, then twist it back and forth until you get some decent slippage and give it a good yank.

AncientWyvern

I have had this problem on a 1970's bike... I got around that by spraying wd40 around the seat post the night before and then using a hammer (after removing the saddle) to GENTLY knock the seat post down a little then you should be able to grab it and move it up or whatever.

Just remember to be gentle with the hammer

Randochap

Senior hunter
The Smokeysmoo method usually works

http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

To which I would add

15: Drill a hole horizontally through the seat post near the top. If you have one put a slip hammer on the seat tube, put a bar through the hole and knock it out or use a lump hammer on alternate sides to knock it out.

I believe some people have also used Coke (mild phosphoric acid) to free one up.

Top Bottom