Seat tube angle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
as you all know i'm in the market for a new bike. can someone advise me on seat tube angle.

when i ride my bike (lad's you're gonna like this!) i tend to push my arse out :tongue::ohmy:

what i mean is, i've got quite long legs and i think this makes me push my arse towards the back of the saddle. when i cycled to paris i realised after 150 miles that my arse cheeks were sore because i was sitting over the back of my saddle. the guys adjusted my seat for me and one of the water stops (while i carb loaded on bananas :biggrin:) which sorted the problem.

most road bikes i've looked at the seat tube angle is either 73 or 73.5. What i want to know is, by the time the seat tube gets to the top does this 0.5 make a massive difference? i'm thinking if they shoved my seat back a couple of centimetres and it made all the difference, could the 0.5 in the seat tube angle make a difference of couple of centimetres, or would the difference at the top of the tube be negligable?

do you know what i mean?

oxbob

Hi buggi, if you have the time try this online bike fit calculator, it explains about femur (thigh) length and saddle setback http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Think I know what you mean...and think overall it might make quite a bit of difference.

You could always use a protractor and a stick and see how much difference. :tongue:

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Baggy said:
Think I know what you mean...and think overall it might make quite a bit of difference.

You could always use a protractor and a stick and see how much difference. :tongue:

:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

i suppose it would help if i even knew what my last one was.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Crackle said:
Perhaps you need one of those layback seatposts. I have the opposite problem :tongue:
don't worry Crackle, you know what they say...

we're all the same size lying down :ohmy:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
look at old roadbike pictures, they had really laid-back seat tubes, in fact my Circa 1949 Holdsworth is much the same, In the old days it looks like people sat further behind the BB. In fact I probably sit more rearwards than most, Greg Lemond also sat back and I think his bike design reflect that more than others.

Maybe you need a custom fitting session to discuss this prior to parting with cash.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
that link posted earlier looks really good, my sis and sis-in-law [to be] is coming round on Tuesday armed with said spirit level and tape measure. i'll let you know if it comes out round about where i'm thinking i should be (normally a 58 frame)

Top Bottom