Seating Marathon Greenguard 700c 28mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
I bought two of these tyres, not had beaded tyres for a few years so forgot they can be a 'negotiation' to initially get everything over the rim without another bit of it coming back off again, but managed it.

The rear one looked to be seated correctly, but when pumping it up part of the bead was pushed over the rim. I deflated and reseated three times (in particular squeezing both sides of that part of the tyre to make sure no tube was trapped, pretty sure there wasn't) and the same thing happened. I deflated and went around the wheel pushing the tyre down into the rim all the way around, inflated a little, bounced round the tyre on the ground, and eventually everything looks to be fine, the tyre is staying on and the reflective strip looks evenly distanced from the rim.

Meanwhile the front tyre went pop, massive straight gash along the tube and part of the tyre was off the rim.

I feel it's unlikely that I had seated both tyres incorrectly or both tyres had a defective bead, but I'm not sure I want to trust them any more, the front tyre that went pop looked fine to me and I've been changing tyres for fifteen years without problems.

Any advice or experience with these tyres?

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
External rim appears to be 19mm, internal maybe 12mm, is that too small for these tyres? Came with 23mm tyres with plenty of clearance.

Top Bottom