Seatpost not in production - need ideas!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Ok my project needs a 24mm seatpost....I can't get one of these long enough :biggrin:

Would like it to be 350mm long at least. I have heard of an adjustable seatpost but can't find this online....also is it possible to shim a 23.6 seatpost up to 24mm? If so what could I use to shim it?

As soon as this is sorted along with tyres then my project bike will be on the road :ohmy:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd have thought shimming should be possible.
Thin aluminium should do the trick - do you have an empty beer can?
Or a full one and ten minutes to spare? :ohmy:

Failing that - Wiggle (amongst others) do seat post shims. You won't find one the right size, but if you get one meant for, say, a 26.8 post into a 27.2 frame, that would be something to start from. Then cut bits out to widen the slot till it fits in the frame. May well do the trick.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
You could try an engineers' merchant for a sheet of shim steel. You will need a piece 0.2mm thick. The only snag is that you may have to buy far more than you need. I know that Cromwell Tools used to supply small quantities so you try Googling them.

I've checked my stock, but I only have imperial thicknesses, the nearest equivalent to 0.2mm being .008" which may or may not do the job. PM me if you are stuck.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've got a tin of various thickness shims Montage...PM me if you want, i'll send a small assortment in the post. :ohmy:

Ps, theyre about 50mm wide, 100mm long brass material. Cuts easily with good scissors.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Thanks for the offers guys - I will look into shimming a smaller seatpost - I'll wait until I get the seatpost first.

If a beer can doesn't do the job then I may well call on the help offered :biggrin: (a beer can as a shim will still be safe right?)

Landslide said:
Make sure it's a good quality beer though. It may be worth getting a selection. You wouldn't want to be riding on a sub-standard shim now would you?
yeah, I've heard the Guiness ones are better than Tennents, maybe you get a few different ones to try it out :wacko:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Landslide said:
Make sure it's a good quality beer though. It may be worth getting a selection. You wouldn't want to be riding on a sub-standard shim now would you?

Landslide speaketh the sense. Prepare a selection of shim material, just in cases.
About 4 cases should do.

Top Bottom