Second day clipless...survived! Phew...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manualtypist

So, on Sunday I took the plunge and went clipless...only to my dismay, come Monday morning I realised that I hadn't actually managed to engage with the pedals!
Made it down to the new Cycle Surgery in Shepherd's Bush and they kindly sorted me out (and got a free water bottle to boot:biggrin:...I like 'free').

Therefore, my first true experience of cycling clipless was straight down the Uxbridge Road on a busy Monday morning! Daft...but somehow I made it to work alive...
In the afternoon/early evening..I took a tumble...again this being on a busy stretch of the Uxbridge Road! Thankfully I was trying to come to a stop at the curb and took a 'slow motion' drop...
Rather shaken, I decided not to tackle the roundabout at Shepherd's Bush clipless...just in case...a tumble there wouldn't be as 'slow motion'

Got out nice and early this morning before work and cycled around the park practising twisting my feet out, clicking back in and just generally trying to remind myself that my feet are attached to the pedals and need to be clicked out before slowing down too much or coming to a stop...

I'm find it difficult trying not to get too comfortable and then forgetting that I'm totally stuck to the pedals!
Other than that...I'm liking the new cycling experience and am glad I've made the switch...

Here's hoping tomorrow goes well...I really don't want to take another tumble...:laugh:

It will come as second nature.You will get used to it.I had to switch myself as it was knackering my trainers.

Guvnor

Good on you. I took the plunge about a month ago now and dont know why i didnt go clipless sooner. Don't think i could ever go back to "normal" pedals again now:thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It comes second nature, i haven't had a clipless moment in 2 years nearly.

With most clipless systems you can clip your foot out but still pedal (not hard) this is a good thing to do when moving in slow traffic, then you don't have to fight and end up panicing when you have to stop and put your foot down.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I switched a few months ago, because my left Achilles tendon was wearing out, due to a large number of kms ridden, including hills. The gym shoes + flat pedals approach made my ankles work far too hard just to keep feet attached to pedals. Since the switch, my feet feel better supported, my tendon no longer hurts at all, and my average speed has slightly increased. :smile:

OP
OP
manualtypist

manualtypist

Thanks for the encouragement. Was feeling so sh***y today...everywhere I looked I seemed to be the only one at most times clipless...then I felt lonely/discouraged and took a drop at a set of traffic lights.

Three grazed and bloody knuckles...bruised pride...and yet the first thing that came to my mind when I fell was 'my tights...did I ladder or rip them?'
Checked and surprisingly my bright blue tights had somehow survived the fall.

One cyclist stopped to help me up (as did some passers by) and the cyclist said that this was what put her off making the switch...

Am really hoping I don't keep taking drops. I've now adjusted the tension to the lowest setting on the pedals (though it still feels a bit too tight) and have taken to disengaging earlier and pedalling without being stuck in when in doubt (traffic moments).

Anyone think that this can actually be more dangerous for commuting...other than the obvious benefits already stated by others?

Randochap

Senior hunter
You will soon wonder what all the bother was about. It takes a bit to program the old grey matter until it is no longer a conscious decision but a natural impulse.

Think about other things you do automatically -- do you think about opening a door? No, but even though you do it many times a day, it's not a skill you were born with.

You had to be taught that grasping and twisting the doorknob produced the desired result. After a while, unclipping will become as second nature as opening a door.

Practice in the driveway, a parking lot or whatever.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
I had a few falls to begin with but then I was also messing about track standing. I used to run pedals that were clipless only on one side but eventually moved to full clipless pedals after 6 months as I was never using the none clipped side.

I rode a bike the other day without them and kneed the bar when set off as I forgot I couldn't pull up. :smile:

Abs

Panter

Just call me Chris...
manualtypist said:
Thanks for the encouragement. Was feeling so sh***y today...everywhere I looked I seemed to be the only one at most times clipless...then I felt lonely/discouraged and took a drop at a set of traffic lights.

Three grazed and bloody knuckles...bruised pride...and yet the first thing that came to my mind when I fell was 'my tights...did I ladder or rip them?'
Checked and surprisingly my bright blue tights had somehow survived the fall.

One cyclist stopped to help me up (as did some passers by) and the cyclist said that this was what put her off making the switch...

Am really hoping I don't keep taking drops. I've now adjusted the tension to the lowest setting on the pedals (though it still feels a bit too tight) and have taken to disengaging earlier and pedalling without being stuck in when in doubt (traffic moments).

Anyone think that this can actually be more dangerous for commuting...other than the obvious benefits already stated by others?

Sorry to hear that :sad:

I must admit I've never had a clipless moment.
When I started using them, my commute was on a 70mph dual carrigeway so if I made a mistake, I'd be killed. Certainly helped to train my brain to using them but not recommended :smile:

I know that *everyone* uses clipless (I never ride any other way) but I have read a fair few articles now that suggest that the effect of pulling up on the pedals is negligible...

If you really do keep falling off in traffic, I'd suggest there is a fair chance you're going to hurt yourself at some point.
Maybe give them a miss for commuting and get some practice laps in in a local park or somewhere else safe for a couple of wekends before venturing back out in traffic?

Anyway, good luck :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As Randochap rightly says. There is too much thinking about it. About using them, unclipping, clipping in and falling off. Try not to think about it. Keep at it and it becomes second nature in a very short space of time.

You are doing the right thing about disengaging earlier, especially in traffic. Soon you will master the art and before you know it, it will all *click* into place

*sorry for the pun*

Top Bottom