Second-Hand Bike Advice - which one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not as good a deal as the Marin but still very good. The only weak point are the tyres, Schwalbe Citizens, bought a pair recently and had to bin them their puncture resistance was so poor but might be better on urban UK roads.
I'd still get someone to check it over for you do once again I'd suggest if maybe a local CC forum member nearby might just give it a once over before going on the road.

vickster

Legendary Member
This from another post - ref same retailer

Well I've bought this one:
https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=35530&Item='Marin San Rafael DS3 All Terrain Disc Hybrid Bike Indigo Blue'

After speaking to them, they say it's unlikely to need anything other than putting wheels, pedals, saddle and handlebars on.

If it does, I've found a local bike service man who says he'll build it for me on my drive for £25.

OP
OP
F

FPL16

This from another post - ref same retailer

Well I've bought this one:
https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=35530&Item='Marin San Rafael DS3 All Terrain Disc Hybrid Bike Indigo Blue'

After speaking to them, they say it's unlikely to need anything other than putting wheels, pedals, saddle and handlebars on.

If it does, I've found a local bike service man who says he'll build it for me on my drive for £25.

I gave them a call and they said the bike would be sent just as described on their website so a lot of assembly required.

@vickster @Cycleops If it’s going to set me back at around £450, what are your thoughts on getting the Trek FX2 2020 or 2019 model? I’ve seen posts on here about the bike and seems like it would be worth considering. I’m tempted to wait a while until things are perhaps more settled. The price of the Trek would then be lower as well maybe. Is there a massive difference between the Trek and the Marin 2018 other than the carbon forks? Also, I prefer the colours of the male Trek bikes - would there be much difference if I got that in a small? The size guides suggest that size for me, but not sure.
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
2020 models probably won’t come down in price until the autumn. That assumes stocks are available.
The Marin is a much better bike, even if you have to pay £30 to get it sorted

I think a small Male bike might be too big. I’m female, 5’10, 34” inseam and would ride a medium men’s bike. usually. Too big bikes really are bad news (I ended up with tennis elbow needing two operations due to one!)

Although to be fair, Trek do say it should be ok. You may just need to cut the bars down a bit if they're too wide?
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-2-disc/p/27991/

Why not call Trek and ask?
To speak to our customer service team, call 01908 360140 Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm. You can also reach us through live chat Monday through Friday 8 am to 8 pm and Saturday and Sunday 10am to 4pm (GMT).

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Trek FX2 would be a fine bike for you. We on here tend to obsess with specifications, hierarchy of groupsets and other things which was why we got so excited about the Marin, it offered things which were way about its price point and had a carbon fork, usually only seen on much more exclusive bikes but all that is not not going to worry you. All you want is a good comfortable bike that you can enjoy and won't be a pig to ride and the Trek will give you that in spades so don't mind us.
I'm afraid I've got no idea on the differences between male and female sizing but it shouldn't make too much difference. As suggested get in touch with Trek who can explain the difference and advise if a male frame would suit you.

OP
OP
F

FPL16

Great, thanks both!

I wanted to ask about the Trek as it seemed to fit what I need from a bike, but wanted more knowledgeable opinions. It has its advantages as I can test ride it, ensure I get the correct size and it will be fully built! 😉

I am in two minds about this one and the Marin as I get that it’s a higher spec for the cost and appreciate your advice as I know very little about about bikes apart from a few weeks of research.

I live and work in South London and will be using the bike to commute to work (still working as I teach in a school which is partially open). I’ve contacted two local bike mechanics to see what they would charge to build the Marin and then I can get it delivered to work - I’m waiting for them to get back to me and will then make a decision.

Thanks again to you both 😊

OP
OP
F

FPL16

The Marin is a 2016 model, the Ridgeback is 2018 and the Trek would be either 2019 or 2020.

Do parts change much over time?

vickster

Legendary Member
The Marin is a 2016 model, the Ridgeback is 2018 and the Trek would be either 2019 or 2020.

Do parts change much over time?
No. Often the frame colour just changes!
If anything, components get downgraded due to economic circumstances, weaker currency etc!

12boy

Guru
I also feel a front suspension is silly. The money spent on that would be better spent on mudguards, a ladies saddle that fits your particular body, possibly Ergon grips for hand comfort some USB chargeable lights or blinkies, some kind of bag that lets the bike carry your stuff, a helmet and maybe a nice rain garment. Obviously, that's more than the fork upcharge, but they are all things that you can find useful when commuting. I know I have. I also feel v-brakes and side pull brakes are a better choice as they are lighter, cheaper and easier to work on. It isn't always easy to find bikes small enough for you, but as mentioned, small and extra large frames don't move as quickly since the market is smaller for these sizes, and shops will give you a deal for leftover or sizes that didn't sell. It might be better to pay a few bucks more to a smaller shop that will go over the bike carefully and help you set it up to fit for ergonomic requirements than buy cheaper and pay someone else to"tune" it. If your cycling buddies know of an LBS that is honest and unpretentious it can be a good idea to establish a relationship with them for future adjustments and repairs. I'd rather pay my LBS a little extra for parts etc than buy it myself on the internet because I want to make sure they stay in business, and their products come with knowlege and installation if needed. Welcome to the wonderful world of bike commuting.... before retiring for the 3rd time I did it regularly from1981 to 2015.

Top Bottom