Second hand bike prices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Is it just me but have seen lots of good looking bikes for sale this last few weeks at rock bottom prices, some road bikes for as little as £60, even a few commuter bikes that look in fair condition for £20.
Could this be due to the cost of replacement parts? Parts are soaring in price, Have been old of a club cyclist that bought a used bike just to take the tyres and tubes of it and scrapped the rest, sacrilege hate to even hear of a reasonable bike getting scraped.

Squirrel Chaser

People are lazy and just try to get a few quid for scrap these days

Gillstay

Über Member
Too many bikes sold during COVID now sat unused. Also from the amount of people going past our house it seems less people are using bikes than before we all went out for a bit of exercise. So much for that big change that some media people thought would happen.

Squirrel Chaser

Too many bikes sold during COVID now sat unused. Also from the amount of people going past our house it seems less people are using bikes than before we all went out for a bit of exercise. So much for that big change that some media people thought would happen.
I live by a trail woods. There's hardly any users there now so the dog walkers have started venturing into the cycle areas...🤬

CharleyFarley

I just managed to sell my Electra (not electric) cruiser for $225 (£182). I paid $564 (£458 including tax) for it, then added $50 (£40) fenders. Also put a new crank set and freewheel on it because the Megarange freewheel it came with was intended for mountain bikes. A new crankset because the chain ring and crank arm were one piece; I needed a smaller chain ring.

Had 186 people look at it. The first three were scammers. The reason it took two weeks to sell it was, I think, because of the number of box store cruisers for half the price I wanted. People tend to not think about quality when they make comparisons. To most, a bike is a bike is a bike.

I gave the buyer the manual for it, and hadn't realized that Electra is a Trek product. Altogether, I spent $684 (£555) on it. But I had put over 4,000 miles on it in just over three years. I hope I'm done buying bikes, now. I have the fatty and the new step through to keep me happy. At the age of 77 I very much doubt a new bike will be coming my way unless Santa brings it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Eh, did they not learn to ride a bike as a kid?

Probably, when they were slim and fit. When you've spent years being sedentary it's not so easy to ride a few miles.

Whereas at the opposite end of the spectrum...

I did a tip run yesterday, and while there, had a gander at the bikes in the sales area. East Cambs council took advantage of the Covid shortage and hiked the prices from the £10-£30 per bike to £50-£80 for their *cheapest* bikes. Small wonder most of the stock has been sat there for the last couple of years gathering ever more cobwebs.

Given that their bikes are "sold as seen" and invariably need work doing, they're having something of a giraffe.

Top Bottom