Second hand bike prices.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squirrel Chaser

Whereas at the opposite end of the spectrum...

I did a tip run yesterday, and while there, had a gander at the bikes in the sales area. East Cambs council took advantage of the Covid shortage and hiked the prices from the £10-£30 per bike to £50-£80 for their *cheapest* bikes. Small wonder most of the stock has been sat there for the last couple of years gathering ever more cobwebs.

Given that their bikes are "sold as seen" and invariably need work doing, they're having something of a giraffe.
Not allowed to sell the bikes at our tip because of the elf and safety rules. You can however pay to tip rubble bags that don't exist and collect a bike for recycling

Not allowed to sell the bikes at our tip because of the elf and safety rules. You can however pay to tip rubble bags that don't exist and collect a bike for recycling

Depends how much it costs to tip a phantom rubble bag... ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just found this reasonably detailed link on the wiggle situation. TL;DR; spend any vouchers now!
Looks like a very appropriate embedded advert... :whistle:

Screenshot_20231017-215623_Chrome.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
Eh, did they not learn to ride a bike as a kid?

They probably did. But then haven't ridden one for years, and they aren't now as young and fit as when they learned.

I will admit, I got back into cycling at the start of lockdown, after about 20 years of very little use of the bike, and the first few rides I was left thinking "this is much harder than I remember".

But I did persevere, gradually doing longer and more hilly rides, and am unlikely now to stop riding again unless and until I have health issues which prevent it.

Many will not have persevered, won't have enjoyed it, and now have decent bikes sat unused.

MGman

I just managed to sell my Electra (not electric) cruiser for $225 (£182). I paid $564 (£458 including tax) for it, then added $50 (£40) fenders. Also put a new crank set and freewheel on it because the Megarange freewheel it came with was intended for mountain bikes. A new crankset because the chain ring and crank arm were one piece; I needed a smaller chain ring.

Had 186 people look at it. The first three were scammers. The reason it took two weeks to sell it was, I think, because of the number of box store cruisers for half the price I wanted. People tend to not think about quality when they make comparisons. To most, a bike is a bike is a bike.

I gave the buyer the manual for it, and hadn't realized that Electra is a Trek product. Altogether, I spent $684 (£555) on it. But I had put over 4,000 miles on it in just over three years. I hope I'm done buying bikes, now. I have the fatty and the new step through to keep me happy. At the age of 77 I very much doubt a new bike will be coming my way unless Santa brings it.

Well at 81 I'm still buying bikes cos we all love them, don't we?
The latest (2nd hand) is an Orbea Gain M2. Just in case later on - as age advances, I might need "assistance!!

So CharleyFarley, keep going . The perfect bike is out there, you just need looking and buying

Attachments

• 20230715_161226.jpg
    20230715_161226.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom