Second hand bike, what to check/service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hario

Hi all,

I am just returning to cycling and I am looking for a little advice about what i should examine/service on the second hand bike ive picked up as a starter bike.

The bike is a Carrera LRS-3 full suspension jobby, i bought it on ebay from a chap upgrading. It has been well used but it looks to my inexperienced eyes like he was taking reasonable care of it.

I was wondering what parts typically need replacing fairly often, as i will probably just change these all so i know their age etc. Im guessing chain, cables and brake pads. Anything else?
Also what longer service parts should be inspected, and how? Can i get at and grease any bearings etc?

I'm new to cycling but not at all new to mechanics, and I have a pretty well kitted out workshop for my motorbikes so should be covered for anything save bicycle specific tools.

Sorry if this has been done to death, but i had a search and didn't find anything.

Thanks!

Play in all bushes and bearings, frame welds, wheels, brakes (hoses if hydraulic, cables if not), brake pads, tyres, etc, etc, etc.....................

Everything you can see basically, but as it's full suspension and, 'well used', then I'd seriously inspect all the pivot bushes, and make enquiries into how available replacement bushes are for that model.

OP
OP
Hario

Hario

Thanks for the speedy response :smile:

how model specific do bike parts get? Also how would i go about figuring out which new bearing/bushing to order as a replacement should i find a naff one?

Unfortunately i can find very little info on this particular model, I've seen people say its a decent bike but no kind of technical info anywhere.

I was also wondering with brake and gear cables, can you feed a new cable through an old housing or is it best to just replace the lot?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
That appears to be a circa 2005 bike so most of the info will have gone - so you have to trawl through the forum stuff for mentions.

It was a Halfords special - even their website didn't appear to mention it - and cost £600 new which was middle/upper priced then.

You can feed new cable through- although you get better shifting with new inner and outers.

I would check that the hubs and cranks turn freely.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If your rear shock is the same as below, then unlike any other component on the bike (except the frame) which will be replaceable even if not serviceable, it will be very tricky to replace and to service because there will be no documentation and no parts. So if I were you before spending any time on anything else, I would check that its functionality is acceptable to you for the price you paid.

P1030315.jpg

OP
OP
Hario

Hario

Thats the one

The shock is a little soft at the moment, but im still waiting on a shock pump to arrive so hard to say about performance until then.

I was worried that shock would become a liability, pity because the rest of the bike is really well equipped and in good shape. I guess i will resist the urge to spend much on the bike, and see how it pans out. Problem is i have basically no mountain biking experience so its a bit difficult for me to judge how well the suspension is behaving, i will just see how i feel about it after a few more outings.

My main area of interest is in longer distance offroad touring/bike packing so i may want to go to a hard tail or even rigid in the not to distant future anyway.

Top Bottom