Second Hand or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Grayduff

Grayduff

Über Member
Big help is knowing what model year you are buying. You can get some big bargains where someone has bought a bike new, ridden it a handful of times, realised cycling requires more effort than driving a car and then decided to sell it.

I don't know about other brands, but Specialized's also have a build date decal on them (presuming the original owner hasn't removed it).

If you are buying a bike thats just a few months old getting it serviced after you have bought it will save you sometimes hundreds of pounds over buying a new one........
Great advice thanks..

Was looking at a specialized sirrus the other night on ebay. It said hardly used.
This bike had rack marks where panniers had been fitted to the rack. Lights. 2 water bottles and mudguards!!!

Be careful what you bid for!

You'd be better off checking the drivetrain and brake/rim wear for how much the bike has been used rather than what accessories have been fitted ...

OP
OP
Grayduff

Grayduff

Über Member
Hi

My trusty 17 yr old Ridgeback 602rx has given up the ghost, been back on the bike for 3 months or so and need a decent Hybrid (scott,Boardman,Specalized etc etc).
Money is very tight and have seen a couple of the above mentioned on Gumtree/Ebay £150 to £250 is this a good way to go or can anyone else make a suggestion.

Cheers:smile:
Made the move and bought a second hand GT Tachyon 4 bike from a Gumtree, took all the advice from all the posts and very happy..thanks guys..:smile:

RWright

Guru
Congrats on the new bike, I prefer to buy used also. There are a lot of those less than 100 mile bikes out there. You can normally also tell if a bike has been cared for and how much wear is on it.

monkeylc

Über Member
They'll be alot of good quality used bikes out there soon.

People inspired by the tour/Olympics and then becoming bored or not liking the "none sunny weather" will soon be selling on ****bay
:biggrin:

vickster

Legendary Member
They'll be alot of good quality used bikes out there soon.

People inspired by the tour/Olympics and then becoming bored or not liking the "none sunny weather" will soon be selling on ****bay
:biggrin:

Be interesting to see if this is indeed the case - I was talking to the pro shop manager at my local mid-high end LBS - he said summer sales had actually been really poor due to the c**p weather! There may be lots of Triban 3's but probably not lots of cheap carbon

Top Bottom