Secondhand bike to leave at Paddington train station

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

areyouactuallymoving

Hi all,

I used to have a Brompton, that I used primarily when going to London for work (I am in London frequently but not everyday), but it got nicked a couple of weeks ago. Instead of replacing it (insurance paid out quickly and with no quibbles) I am considering buying a secondhand bike to leave at Paddington station and using that to get around London. The problem is that I don't know enough about bikes to trawl the usual websites and find a good one.

I'm fairly sure I want a hybrid and can get the size based on my current bike, and would prefer to spend less than £75, but beyond that I am not sure what to even search for. Any tips gratefully received!

Cheers

Globalti

Legendary Member
Search for bike recycling places and see if you can pick up an old mountain bike with unfashionable 26" wheels. You might only pay £25 for it and you might need to pay a bit more to a bike shop to get the brakes working or the gears but it won't matter if it gets stolen, and the scruffier and more rough-looking it is, the less likely to get stolen.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Search for bike recycling places and see if you can pick up an old mountain bike with unfashionable 26" wheels. You might only pay £25 for it and you might need to pay a bit more to a bike shop to get the brakes working or the gears but it won't matter if it gets stolen, and the scruffier and more rough-looking it is, the less likely to get stolen.
...and paint it with matt black blackboard paint, just for added undesirability.

This is one really good use for Tanus solid/foam tyres.
Look for bolt on wheels, no QR anywhere. How do hub dynamo bolt on lights survive in London? I have never had a problem with them. Another thing you dont dont to carry.

Low end Shimano eg Altus or similar grade is really good for commuting, tough, reliable and low cost

OP
OP
A

areyouactuallymoving

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks for the advice

looks good, but you're a bit to far away I'm afraid.

I have seen these locally
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/ladies-raleigh-push-bike.-/1341213082
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/raleigh-sport-200-town-bike/1342402117

Would either of them be suitable?

I can always send it down to you

I like the 2nd one

T4tomo

Guru
From personal experience, a single speed is enough choice of gears for London, and reduces maintenance, something with a 3spd SA hub gear would be luxury, although as stated above, low end shimano is pretty reliable.

jay clock

Massive member
I am in the same boat but for Waterloo. I have got an older version of this https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-fx...3kNBcPXCV2Z8M3SLUnLu_KP3CS9gGYc4aAliqEALw_wcB acquired off my son who never used it. Remained in garden for a year or two so the gloss black bits are tarnished, then I bought a roll of 50mm electrical tape off ebay and badly wrapped the frame. got an old rack with a basket cable tied on, into which I put my rucksack. Actually pretty rideable and looks crap

Top Bottom