Secteur Triple gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuanLobbe

Über Member
Hi all

Currently have a heavy but low-geared revolution cross and thinking of getting a Secteur triple.
Now I'm rubbish at hills and manage to get up the wizard, for example, using the very lowest gears on the cross' granny ring, so I'm a bit worried that even with the sec triple I might struggle on really steep hills.

The cross has 42/32/22 rings and a cassette range from 11-32 (8 speed). By contrast the Secteur has 52/42/30 rings with a 13-26 cassette.

According to Sheldon Brown this gives a gearing range on the Cross of 1.4-7.5 as opposed to 2.3-7.9 on the Secteur.

So my question is - given I'm quite heavy and struggle on hills, will I cope with this, bearing in mind I suppose that the sectuer is probably 3kg lighter?

All comments gratefully received!

OP
OP
JuanLobbe

JuanLobbe

Über Member
Can't believe I spelled Secteur wrong in the thread title. Oh well!

potsy

Rambler
I swapped out the granny ring on mine to a 28 to give a slightly lower bottom gear, could even have put a 26 in I suppose.
Next cassette change I have a 12-27 ready to go on.

The lighter bike will help though, just depends on how much you rely on spinning your way up the hills :thumbsup:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Since shedding weight I've found hills much easier. I have a compact 34/50 with a 12/30 on the felt and find it ok.

If you up for loosing some weight you'll find it makes massive differences.

Bluenite

Could you not try to improve your hill climbing skills. I used to avoid hills like the plague, then i read a article about
hill climbing and decided to go for it. It took me a few days, but the practice paid off. I no longer use the granny ring
and i don't feel like i lost a lung half way up.

PS i use a triple.

Norm

I've a Secteur and a Tricross, I don't find hill-grinding any harder on the Secteur. The bike is lighter, which has a big impact on the hills, and I think mine is 13-25 on the rear (it's a couple of years old).

Can't believe I spelled Secteur wrong in the thread title. Oh well!
Sorted. :thumbsup:

Norm

Hee hee I'm just off out to do some gardening, coincidentally. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
JuanLobbe

JuanLobbe

Über Member
@MattHB - I definitely need to try! Usually lose a bit when get some miles in.
Norm - thanks, that's really helpful.

Think I may have got the details wrong for the cross - the latest version on the EBC website has the cross as 28/38/48, which still gives a wide range according to Sheldon of 1.7-8.6 - Tricross is (I reckon) 2.3-7.9... same as the Sec which explains it Norm! Suppose will probably get it and see how I get on - could always swap out the granny ring like potsy...

Bluenite - link to article would be much appreciated, or just the gist!

thanks all. Fab forum!

lulubel

Über Member
If you're up for changing the rear mech to a long cage, you could always swap the cassette for an 11-32 or even 11-34, which is what I'm doing on my new build (with a 50/39/30 chainset).

Norm

same as the Sec which explains it Norm!
Possibly, but I'm fairly certain that the Tricross has a 30-tooth front and 32-tooth rear combination available (on 32mm tyres), whereas the Secteur can't get below 30 / 25 (on 25mm tyres).

That said, of course, whether one bike is better than another is as much down to personal differences as spec sheets. It might be just that I am more suited to climbing on the (M-sized) Secteur than I am the (L-sized) Tricross which offsets the marginal difference in final gearing.

When it comes down to it, I think that it comes down to...
will I cope with this
... probably, but, as you suggest, you won't know until you've tried. Shame that you are down south further, you could take mine out to try them. Do you have a decent LBS who would be willing to let you take one out for an hour?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I swapped out the granny ring on mine to a 28 to give a slightly lower bottom gear, could even have put a 26 in I suppose.
Next cassette change I have a 12-27 ready to go on.

The lighter bike will help though, just depends on how much you rely on spinning your way up the hills :thumbsup:
potsy, where did you get a 28 tooth chainring? Thanks.

Top Bottom