Section 59

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thought I'd do a motoring S59 thread as the bike cam ones get a bit heated.

My son filed an online S59 video this week from getting brake tested by a driver in the outside lane of a motorway. My son is no angel, is usualy driving round in a very loud tuned Fabia, with more stickers than a F1 car.

Anyway, he was tooting in the outside lane of the M60, in the "turbo slow" Aygo, in traffic and a person in a Jag XJ undercuts about two lanes of traffic, forces into lane two, then forces into lane three. Son raises his hand (in the car no fingers), get's brake tested by a Jag vs Aygo twice to 20 mph from 70 mph. Fortunately my son does loads of track driving so managed to slow the little 'shoot box' as we call it, faster than the Jag.

Unfortunately, for idiot Jag driver, the £50 cheap camera we have fitted, that we forget about, just needed the big 'button' pressing and it all got recorded.

He submitted it to GMP, very straight forward he said, reply within days, driver has a S59 and a court appointment. :laugh:

Certainly made my son think about his behaviour in a very identifiable car (which we've drilled into him).

My son got me a camera in the car, I've forgotten it was there. My son only got the camera for the Aygo as he was assaulted whilst doing deliveries for Dominoes about 18 months ago.

Bit of a result, I've just seen the footage and it's very dangerous the brake test twice from 70. High spec Jag, vs a little Aygo (does have abs and things) but its light - not so sure it has stability, but it might.

Result though !

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe two battles won with this.
Your son, might just remember every time he's in his own car that there's camera's everywhere, but more important the idiot that brake tested him has a date with someone.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Maybe two battles won with this.
Your son, might just remember every time he's in his own car that there's camera's everywhere, but more important the idiot that brake tested him has a date with someone.

Yes, very much so, as he's taken note of how easy it was. I've said, have fun on the track, not the roads.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Section 59? I thought at first glance you meant Section 69. But, then I realised you were not talking about the Army act either.

I was watching Police Camera thing this evening, before son popped down. It looks like the S59 has been tightened up alot. I reported a driver, many years ago, S59, said the car was known for a few issues, but until it got caught doing something really wrong, then it sat there.

It's one S59 on driver or car now for 12 months, second strike, either car or driver get's done, even if different driver of same car (eg rental).

DRM

Guru
Driver of Jag thinks they can bully driver of little Aygo, Mrs DRM had a Celerio, used to get the tailgating & stupid overtakes despite driving at the speed limit, just before Covid I went to the gym in it, had an idiot come flying through the car park and deliberately barge through, I had to stop sharpish and pull over to the left, a similar WTF raise of the hands made this loony decide to come flying back into the car park in reverse, by which time I was parked up, and out of the car getting my gym gear out, Mr Knobber gets out of his car all aggressive, then visibly wilts on spotting the boxing gloves I'm carrying and gets back in and shoots off again, luckily for me it was a boxercise class, and I'm no prizefighter, but he didn't know that, probably thought it was an elderly or female driver he could throw his weight round with

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Driver of Jag thinks they can bully driver of little Aygo, Mrs DRM had a Celerio, used to get the tailgating & stupid overtakes despite driving at the speed limit, just before Covid I went to the gym in it, had an idiot come flying through the car park and deliberately barge through, I had to stop sharpish and pull over to the left, a similar WTF raise of the hands made this loony decide to come flying back into the car park in reverse, by which time I was parked up, and out of the car getting my gym gear out, Mr Knobber gets out of his car all aggressive, then visibly wilts on spotting the boxing gloves I'm carrying and gets back in and shoots off again, luckily for me it was a boxercise class, and I'm no prizefighter, but he didn't know that, probably thought it was an elderly or female driver he could throw his weight round with

This is something my wife got in the Yaris she had (not me in a mid sized saloon) - i.e. drivers would try and barge her out of the way in the Yaris. She got the Qashqai - it's lighter, shorter, and better on fuel than my 'saloon' (replaced my car by Nissan as no-one buys cars now), but the big SUV drivers stopped trying to drive through her. The car is only taller than my car, but it's bigger than the Yaris we used to ferry two kids abut whilst they needed prams and stuff. My saloon is alot heavier than the so called SUV and worse on fuel.

Driver attitude needs changing. There is now a big 'resistance' move against the 20 mph limit in towns in Wales - from the folk that complain about visitors... FFS. My only issue is getting held up by drivers (whilst I cycle), so more back lanes from me at the caravan rides.

Good on your lad @fossyant

I've been brake tested a few times over the years - drivers of "posh" cars can get rather sniffy when overtaken by an elderly Skoda estate. You do tend to develop a "nose" for these numpties after a while.

The scariest one I've had though was driving northbound on the A12 past the Olympic Park one evening, minding my own bloody business. It's a 40 mph limit but suddenly I find myself in the middle of a car race. Bunch of souped-up Imprezas and the like, undertaking, overtaking, doing at least double the limit... It was the only time I've thought about wanting rubber underwear while driving.

Might get a cheap dashcam for the Rapid on reflection.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I read decently that 1 in 6 car drivers now have them. Looking at the parked cars while I walk the dog seems to bear this out.

I think there might be more than that. It was a doddle to fit the cheap one my son bought me, front and rear, just needed a bit of trim popping, and a fuse piggy back to power it. Did the same with the Aygo. I only know the Aygo one is a bit 'rubbish' and won't over record, despite the settings. My chepo one, erm nothing, I don't drive the car much, it hides behind the big rear mirror, I forget its there. Saves enough drives to catch an idiot without 'finding' the button. Some have a big 'save' button that grabs a few minutes and locks it.

Thing is, these cheap things do the job in a car.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Still too much CBA to fit one (camera) to the bike.... GMP hate cycists. I prefer to cycle past big Mercs that pull out on me and I ask 'politely' 'Please look before you pull out on me' as I sail past the drivers window in posher and posher than poshville that Drago Lives in. The dear old lady looked abit shocked as the peasant on his old 30 year old push iron, 653 refurb in it's spleandour pearl white paint (that's a feckin pain to keep slightly clean) sailed past.....

A camera is too much in this insance.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was once passed on a dual carriageway by an old shape Nissan Micra closely followed by an Alan Sugar-style Rolls Royce.

It did look as if the Roller driver was tailgating, but he was expressionless, staring straight ahead, so it was hard to tell.

About £250 worth of metal against about £250,000 - never was the huge gap between rich and poor in motoring illustrated in such a short space of road.

Top Bottom