Sectional garage renovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Another garage roof related thread!
We have a concrete sectional garage that was erected by a local company in 2007. Wooden fascia is all rotted and needs replacing. Roof suffers condensation drips and just the other day I noticed it has started leaking in one place during heavy rain. My guess this is due to water collecting behind an obstruction and backing up past an overlap in the panels rather than a crack; looking from an upstairs window there's a few clumps of moss growing on it.

The roof is supported on steel trusses bolted to the concrete sections. The structure seems sound.
I can probably do the fascia myself. I have access all round (roughly 1m from boundary) but I believe the roof is corrugated asbestos so anything done to that would be by professionals. Hoping nothing actually needs doing to it apart from brushing the crud off the top, maybe a pressure wash?

Top tips welcome and especially recommendations for reputable Leeds area companies.

presta

Guru
I have a 50 year old concrete garage with an asbestos roof. I repaired it myself when one of the panels developed a crack, but that was 30 odd years ago when there wasn't the same fuss about asbestos. I think I shifted the panel so that the crack was covered by the adjacent panel at the overlap. When I was decorating about 20 years ago I replaced the original barge boards that were rotten, and also made two new window frames to replace the original steel ones that had rusted away.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Similarly my 10 year-old sectional garage appears to be leaking through the concrete roof panels. I'm going to put water seal on those once it gets warmer.

Also, the wooden barge boards need replacing, which is another job to be done.

You want a biocide to kill the moss and only a gentle brush or hose to dislodge once the moss is dead (jetwash is too harsh). I sealed any cracks with a fabric tape and used Tekcryl to seal and waterproof.

You are allowed to dispose of white corrugated asbestos as a householder with no need of professionals.
Note disposal of sheets needs to be done into a designated place (at council tip by appointment here, free but only as a householder) but the dismantling can be done by anyone (damp it down repeatedly) and ideally do it in drizzle, don't snap/cut or drop the sheets and the jobs a good un, bag for transport ideally.

Slick

Guru
We have a concrete sectional garage that was erected by a local company in 2007. Wooden fascia is all rotted and needs replacing. Roof suffers condensation drips and just the other day I noticed it has started leaking in one place during heavy rain. My guess this is due to water collecting behind an obstruction and backing up past an overlap in the panels rather than a crack; looking from an upstairs window there's a few clumps of moss growing on it.

The roof is supported on steel trusses bolted to the concrete sections. The structure seems sound.
I can probably do the fascia myself. I have access all round (roughly 1m from boundary) but I believe the roof is corrugated asbestos so anything done to that would be by professionals. Hoping nothing actually needs doing to it apart from brushing the crud off the top, maybe a pressure wash?

Top tips welcome and especially recommendations for reputable Leeds area companies.

Ooft, don't mess around with asbestos, even if it is just sheeting which is considered low risk stuff, it still needs careful handling.

It is true that some recycling centres may take some very small amounts from domestic customers, they are very unlikely to take on home construction or demolition projects, so please speak to a professional, before you touch anything.

Stay away from anyone who tells you different.

OP
OP
D

Dadam

Ok if it’s not asbestos that’s great. Someone told me it might be so I was assuming it was. I’ve probably still got the paperwork around somewhere.

Jameshow

Veteran
Similarly my 10 year-old sectional garage appears to be leaking through the concrete roof panels. I'm going to put water seal on those once it gets warmer.

Also, the wooden barge boards need replacing, which is another job to be done.

I've got a cheap source of metal panels of you need them...

Slick

Guru
Ok if it’s not asbestos that’s great. Someone told me it might be so I was assuming it was. I’ve probably still got the paperwork around somewhere.

Probably no bad thing to assume the worst, but hope for the best. Still lots of it around, despite the ban.

Hicky

Guru
Question to the forum, do the council have a facility of checking if it is asbestos etc or is this type of thing a private pay me type of affair...?
Second recommendations for replacements ideally that don't condense and drip onto the innards of the garage....apologies for any thread hijack.

You've pretty much described my garage problems, I'm not going to attempt it myself though as I want to change several things on it - higher roof, change doors. Am interested in how it goes (pictures!) and what company you go with.

Slick

Guru
Question to the forum, do the council have a facility of checking if it is asbestos etc or is this type of thing a private pay me type of affair...?
Second recommendations for replacements ideally that don't condense and drip onto the innards of the garage....apologies for any thread hijack.

Certainly in Scotland you would be responsible for determining if its asbestos or not, but there is help and advice available.

https://uknar.org/#:~:text=UKNAR (UK National Asbestos Register,who may be at risk.

Top Bottom