securing bikes to a towball rack (Thule)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
We have a towbar mounted Thule ride on 3 rack, its one without the frame clamps.
I have been merrily strapping down the bikes with every available strap , bungee until it looks like a cats cradle.
Today Mrs FS suggested that I found a way of securing the bikes which didnt take half an hour....
Other than replacing the rack (300 quid +) I am struggling to find a solution, . Does anyone know of clamps or bits of kit which would make it easier?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
We have a towbar mounted Thule ride on 3 rack, its one without the frame clamps.
I have been merrily strapping down the bikes with every available strap , bungee until it looks like a cats cradle.
Today Mrs FS suggested that I found a way of securing the bikes which didnt take half an hour....
Other than replacing the rack (300 quid +) I am struggling to find a solution, . Does anyone know of clamps or bits of kit which would make it easier?
I've got the Halfords equivalent for four bikes (£180!), and it's just three straps per bike, plus one bigger one per pair of bikes. But with just the three straps (one per wheel and one on the down-tube) there's no way a bike is going to go anywhere, and I've done several 850-mile trips without anything coming in the slightest bit loose. After all, all the weight is taken on the wheels, so all the straps have to do is to stop the bikes bouncing off, and three is ample for that.

I must admit that on the first trip I was slightly sceptical, but having watched how little the bikes get buffeted behind the car, I've been much happier since with just three points of attachment. I can't see clamps being that much quicker.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Electric cable ties ???? (I use them on my carrier..........as well as the standard ratchet straps)
Remember to take scissors/knife and spare ties for the return journey.

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Veteran
In my usual over the top way of doing things I got some dudget ratchet straps , I heve never found a way of slackening them off !
Hadnt considered cable ties......

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
My towbar rack's one of the Nimbus Safire ones. It's not the strapping of the bikes that takes the time (one strap per wheel, one on the end of the mounting arm per bike, plus a long one that goes through them all), It's the tightening the big towbar bolt, which requires more torque than my battery impact gun can provide. :sad:

Top Bottom