Security when cycle touring UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beggsy

Regular
We set off in mid May to meander our way from Inverness to London over a 6 week period, following first doing the Hebridean Way, so 8 weeks in total.

I realise by search that similar posts have been made, and great answers are there. We will approach the trip with hopefully some common sense but wonder if there is any general or specific comments that we should take on board regarding security, mainly of our worldly goods! (ie we will be carrying everything with us on our bikes, from passports, small laptop, phones etc etc along with tent, clothing).

Not so many concerns with our overnight stops, wherever they may be, as presuming we should be able to lock bikes and remove panniers. However our question is more around our daytime stops... cafes, pubs, sites of interest, short walks? Is there any helpful hints out there, and/or comments on lock types ... or even if we are overthinking it! Hopefully we have an attitude of taking reasonable care (ie no phones, passports left on unattended bikes) and relaxed thinking :smile:

Any thoughts welcome:reading:

MikeG

Guru
The only thjing I'd say is never let your bikes out of your sight. When in cafes. sit where you can see them.

We set off in mid May to meander our way from Inverness to London over a 6 week period, following first doing the Hebridean Way, so 8 weeks in total.

I realise by search that similar posts have been made, and great answers are there. We will approach the trip with hopefully some common sense but wonder if there is any general or specific comments that we should take on board regarding security, mainly of our worldly goods! (ie we will be carrying everything with us on our bikes, from passports, small laptop, phones etc etc along with tent, clothing).

Not so many concerns with our overnight stops, wherever they may be, as presuming we should be able to lock bikes and remove panniers. However our question is more around our daytime stops... cafes, pubs, sites of interest, short walks? Is there any helpful hints out there, and/or comments on lock types ... or even if we are overthinking it! Hopefully we have an attitude of taking reasonable care (ie no phones, passports left on unattended bikes) and relaxed thinking :smile:

Any thoughts welcome:reading:

A bit light on useful info. Based on earlier posts you're not resident in the UK? Your bikes or rented? I think there's 2 of you?
Camping? How much gear on the bike? (One of my safety features is that the chances of someone hopping on my loaded steed and making a quick exit are pretty small. A credit card setup is much easier)

Obviously important stuff should always be with you and carried separately. Any backups carried in a separate place.
One shops while the other watches the bikes.
Park the bikes in sight when stopping to eat.
Covered, locked storage at night is best but, truthfully, had I a top of the range bike those situations would make me a bit nervous as lots of people can have access and they are a known entity. If there are other bikes in there, locking your bike may make it more likely to be damaged as others root around to get their own in or out.
If staying in hotels etc. mention the bikes when booking. Get the details of the storage. If you're a review person search for bike(s) in the reviews.

However, there's no need for too much anxiety. You have a foreign accent? Use it! People will typically respond far more generously to a foreigner. Ditto for a smile. People respond to honey better than vinegar, especially in that little museum (or whatever) that you're stopping off to wander around. My understanding is that there are various 'hotspots' around the country where local cyclists won't go. Being friendly and approachable you're more likely to find out in advance.

At the end of the day there's two things to manage here - the risk of a bike/gear being stolen and the fear of the same. They're not the same.

Good luck!

Gwylan

Veteran
I've added removable pedals. Renders the bike pretty useless in the short term, unless they have a van.

On the other hand it means you have to carry the pedals around with you.

Still got to be locked up anyway.
Don't rely on cables, flimsy chains or chocolate padlocks. That means an extra 4kg load.

Read your insurance policy for the small print.
My bike got nicked and I was directed by the insurance company to their get out clause buried on page 45 of my policy.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
. However our question is more around our daytime stops... cafes, pubs, sites of interest, short walks? Is there any helpful hints out there, and/or comments on lock types ... or even if we are overthinking it!
I carry two locks of different types. Usually a D for rear wheel, frame and parking stand and an alarmed cable for front, frame and stand. The cable is also useful for reaching further when there's no good stand.

Like others, I prefer to keep the bikes in sight, but I'm not going to miss the chance to visit something if I have to park the bikes and leave a pannier of laundry on it. Some attractions have cloakrooms or lockers, or will keep your bags behind reception if you ask. Sutton Hoo stands out in my recent memory as a place with good lockers and worth a long visit.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Use D-locks, certainly. But it doesn't look like you're spending much time in big cities, with the exception of London towards the end of your trip. If you're having some time sightseeing in London (which you definitely should!) then I'd suggest going in by train from the place you're storing your bikes. They could probably store your camping gear for you too ;)

OP
OP
B

Beggsy

Regular
Thanks for all the replies, most helpful... and to clarify re HobbesOnTour queries...

2 Kiwi's on 2nd hand ex hire bikes (non-e Hybrids), panniers, frame bag and front roll. Will sharpen up our accent... and take our Kiwi "she'll be right" attitude!!

Really appreciate the hints, will purchase locks a bit better than perhaps I was thinking/bringing once we pick up bikes, and hopefully keep our common sense intact once travelling. As TheDoctor (who knows a little about our plans as we will have the pleasure of meeting him at end of trip) suggests, we are largely avoiding large cities and utilising known routes as much as possible (thanks cycle.travel). Will have already spent time in London (re-visit) before biking commences in Inverness. Definitely hoping to find accommodation with some sort of secure storage option (even if outdoors but lockable to) as we travel but as we are trying to keep plans fluid this may not always be possible/achievable.

Cheers

Gwylan

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies, most helpful... and to clarify re HobbesOnTour queries...

2 Kiwi's on 2nd hand ex hire bikes (non-e Hybrids), panniers, frame bag and front roll. Will sharpen up our accent... and take our Kiwi "she'll be right" attitude!!

Really appreciate the hints, will purchase locks a bit better than perhaps I was thinking/bringing once we pick up bikes, and hopefully keep our common sense intact once travelling. As TheDoctor (who knows a little about our plans as we will have the pleasure of meeting him at end of trip) suggests, we are largely avoiding large cities and utilising known routes as much as possible (thanks cycle.travel). Will have already spent time in London (re-visit) before biking commences in Inverness. Definitely hoping to find accommodation with some sort of secure storage option (even if outdoors but lockable to) as we travel but as we are trying to keep plans fluid this may not always be possible/achievable.

Cheers

Do enjoy.

We have a couple of bike covers that are handy to keep the weather off bikes and stuff. Light enough to buy here and take home. Also disguises what might be underneath.
Unlike decent locks and chains. Ours turn the scales at nearly 3kg.
The big chain for chaining the bikes together is over 4kg. Not something to fly around the world.
If you are buying padlocks try and get keyed alike it simplifies life a lot.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm sure you'll have an absolute blast!
I missed out on doing the Hauraki Rail Trail in January, but it's on the hit list for next year.
As is the Otago Central Rail Trail at some point. We kept crossing it driving between Dunedin and Queenstown in 2020.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Have you valuables in a bar bag or similar that you can take with you whenever you leave the bikes. Grocery shopping is much easier with two of you as one can shop and one watch the bikes. Find cafes with outside seating or somewhere you can watch the bikes. If I want to do any city sight seeing I book accommodation with secure bike storage such as a hostel. Have a great trip! I hope your Hebrides leg has the sun and tailwinds I did. The ferry rides are a real treat.

Top Bottom