Seeing your kids off to university

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I took my son to uni in 2008, but my personal life wasn't going well at the time and I didn’t really appreciate the experience.

Today, in a better state of mind, I took my step-son to uni.

What a great day! It was fascinating to see loads of young, nervous, excited people, from all around the world, preparing to spend a few years studying and partying - and, no doubt, to become our future teachers, doctors, scientists, etc etc...

Good luck to them all:okay:

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
[QUOTE 4967586, member: 259"]When I went to uni in 1980, I went to pick up my full grant at the arts building and it saw me in basics plus a few spliffs and pints (supplemented by summer jobs and Saturday jobs). I can only pity the poor sods now graduating with 30000 quids' worth of debts and more for tuition fees alone.

(Sorry to put a downer on the thread)[/QUOTE]

Yeah...but.

I didn’t go to Uni.

My son missed the full tuition fees by a year or two, came out with about 15k debt and is now earning a lot more than his non uni attending peers.

Step-son’s tuition fees are going be about 27,000. Will it pay? Who knows? But hopefully he’ll have an experience that’s priceless (sorry).

We’re very fortunate that we can subsidise him if needs be.

What was noticeable was the very high proportion of “posh” cars delivering children. Anecdotal only, but I suspect that there aren’t many children from poor families off to uni this year:sad:

The whole point of parenthood is preparing kids to feck off, I struggle with understanding parents who feel anything but "mission accomplished" when they do.

In elder Marmionette's case she became a drop out, a re-joiner, a drop out again and is now a "Barrista in training". She'll find her way.

Drago

Legendary Member
Never got to do it.

Oldest daughter joined the RAF, then qualified as a hairdresser. Now owns her own salon and drives a new Porker Cayenne.

Second daughter is an unemployed waster, married to another unemployed waster.

Third daughter is a trainee accountant at 20, and doing OK for herself.

Fourth daughter is 6.

My parents never got to see me off as I did the OU.

So its an experience I've never enjoyed :sad:

A tank driver in the Household Cavalry.
As long as she runs over any Royals who happen to pass in her general direction.

D

Deleted member 1258

Son1 went last year, son2 last week. It's exciting to watch them cast off on their own with life still full of possibilities and unknowns. Personally, I'm finding it a hard adjustment to make though.

The whole point of parenthood is preparing kids to feck off, I struggle with understanding parents who feel anything but "mission accomplished" when they do.

In elder Marmionette's case she became a drop out, a re-joiner, a drop out again and is now a "Barrista in training". She'll find her way.

It doesn't matter where they are going it can be hard to adjust, We've got one son living the other side of town, married with a daughter, and one whose moved out of Coventry, I'm fine with that but my good lady has struggled to let go.

Last edited by a moderator:

postman

Legendary Member
My two have grown,one has a part time job,to put some extra money in his wallet,we set a figure and it will not rise.Second one wants to go to New York for a holiday next year.She has a part time job interview this week.I am so proud to see them both standing on their own two feet.We had the cash, set them both a limit, anymore and you work for it.Both are happy both are doing well and both have said thank you,what more do i need.

Andrew_P

In between here and there

I always feel guilty in todays society for feeling like that. My eldest has done brilliantly without any pressure from me or mum, buggered off at 18 rented a room in London worked full time for two years saving even nicked my old Boardman CX to commute on and then decided to go to University aiming to be an Architect other than pride no other emotion she's just making her own way. My middle daughter couldn't give two fecks about school\sixith form just wants to leave as soon as possible school that is, I might need my size nine to get mission accomplished with her!. I tried for a little while to force education upon her and then when I heard myself for the first time making the comparison to my eldest to her I decided to shut the feck up and let her get on with her own life. My youngest is a mixture of the pair! But your right mission accomplished, I think three might have been too many quite a long wait yet.

I have jokingly, but with a touch of seriousness told them all they are out the door at the soonest opportunity. Fecking Victorian parent!

Last edited:
Top Bottom